[SOLVED] My pc keeps disconnecting from the wifi and i cant fix at all

Aug 7, 2021
I have a gigbyte b360m motherboard, a usb wifi adapter "tp link t1U"
im with telstra with a telstra smart modem

I've had this problem for a month and its getting worse everyday, when i start my pc the wifi connection is stable but maybe once every 30 minutes it cuts out and theres no internet, this is very annoying while on zoom calls as i need to reconnect and games.
Ive tried too fix it, ive reinstalled drivers (even the older ones), done network resets, reset my ip, reset the modem. i dont want to buy a new adapter and ethernet is fine but modems too far to wire it

*ive already set the option so the pc cant turn it off
*newest windows updated

Last edited:
Solution
If you get a PCIE card get the type that has short antenna cables that you can extend to the top of the case. Used to be this was only expensive Asus ones but other vendors now sell them.

Even without moca I would next recommend powerline units that run the newest av2. Most units you see called av1000 and av2000. In most houses you get maybe 200mbps and if you are lucky 300mbps. The key things it helps is you will not get random lag spikes in games. It also can stop some of pixliation you see in video conference.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First check and see what BIOS version you're on and if you have any BIOS updates pending update. If you have a number of BIOS versions to update, gradually work your way to the latest. Following that make sure you're on the latest version for Windows 10. You should ideally be on version 21H1. Use their support site here, to locate the right drivers for your adapter, uninstall said adapter's drivers and then reinstall in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Which wireless band, 2.4 or 5Ghz? Have you tried changing the channel for the band in use? The 2.4 band has a stronger/slower reception. Tried swapping usb ports? Added any new wifi products to the environment in the last month?

Aug 7, 2021
Which wireless band, 2.4 or 5Ghz? Have you tried changing the channel for the band in use? The 2.4 band has a stronger/slower reception. Tried swapping usb ports? Added any new wifi products to the environment in the last month?
2.4 and ill try switch it, and no new products, bought a new adapter doesnt fix anything

What kind of adapter did you buy. The tplink one is pretty much garbage. Not so much because it is tplink but any of those tiny usb devices are designed where portability is more important that performance. They are designed mostly for tablets and laptops.
They transmit at lower power to save on battery and have very small antenna. In addition when you place these units in a desktop you are almost placing these tiny antenna inside your massive metal case.

I would first try a USB extension cable to get it away from the computer case.

In general the best USB devices for a desktop machines come with a extension cable and many with a stand to mount it remotely. Many have large external antenna.

Your best option for a desktop tends to be a wired solution. When you can't use ethernet directly you cosider MoCA if you have coax tv cable or powerline networks.

Aug 7, 2021
What kind of adapter did you buy. The tplink one is pretty much garbage. Not so much because it is tplink but any of those tiny usb devices are designed where portability is more important that performance. They are designed mostly for tablets and laptops.
They transmit at lower power to save on battery and have very small antenna. In addition when you place these units in a desktop you are almost placing these tiny antenna inside your massive metal case.

In general the best USB devices for a desktop machines come with a extension cable and many with a stand to mount it remotely. Many have large external antenna.

Your best option for a desktop tends to be a wired solution. When you can't use ethernet directly you cosider MoCA if you have coax tv cable or powerline networks.
dont have a moca in my room, have any recommendations for any wireless adapters

Aug 7, 2021

honestly might get a pce wifi card

If you get a PCIE card get the type that has short antenna cables that you can extend to the top of the case. Used to be this was only expensive Asus ones but other vendors now sell them.

Even without moca I would next recommend powerline units that run the newest av2. Most units you see called av1000 and av2000. In most houses you get maybe 200mbps and if you are lucky 300mbps. The key things it helps is you will not get random lag spikes in games. It also can stop some of pixliation you see in video conference.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS