Question My PC keeps freezing and I seemingly cant find a solution.

Jun 1, 2019
PC Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 8086k
Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
2x16GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2666MHz
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti Extreme
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB
Seagate Barracuda 3T
Corsair RM750x

The Problem
My PC freezes up when I try to play games. This doesn't occur with every game and mainly only with more demanding ones.
Most of the time my FPS counter plummets to 0-2 and freezes. Apart from locking up the computer it also sometimes locks up my mouse and keyboard causing the their light show to freeze.
The second most common thing to happen is for the computer to unfreeze after freezing, but the game's visuals become transparent allowing me to see my wallpaper. When this happens the game is still running, in fact usually the audio is still functional (not always), so I can use my keyboard to move my character, fire my gun, open menus, etc. I simply cant see any of it.
If more Info/detail/explanation is needed please do ask.

Stuff I've Tried
-Uninstalling and reinstalling many many drivers (I deleted all the NVIDIA and Aorus drivers and reinstalled them, plus a few other drivers I cant remember)
-Running Superposition Benchmark (4 times and played the game for 15 min, no problems, normal results)
-Ran 11 2GB Memtest aplications simultaneously (took about an hour, CPU was at 100% utilization, no problems found)
-Updated to latest bios release
-Changed some settings that solved other people's issues (I couldn't tell you what I changed, except that I changed them back after they didn't solve the issue)
-Optimizing the HDD and SSD (used Windows' Optimize Drives, Payday no longer "freezes/crashes")
-Maybe there's more I cant remember

Ending Notes
It would be great if someone could double check my parts' compatibility to make sure I didn't overlook anything.
I'd like to avoid a full rebuild and fresh windows install unless absolutely necessary.
And please can someone help me to finally fix this issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend! Thanks for the detail!

-Have you verified CPU and GPU temperatures under load? (Individual core temperatures are important)
-The other drivers installed/removed may be important - have you updated Intel Management Enginer along with your -BIOS?
-Have you checked the integrity of your storage drives using CrystalDiskInfo or HDSentinal?
-Does this issue strictly only happen during gaming?
-What monitor / cable are you using and at what resolution?

Jun 1, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend! Thanks for the detail!

-Have you verified CPU and GPU temperatures under load? (Individual core temperatures are important)
-The other drivers installed/removed may be important - have you updated Intel Management Enginer along with your -BIOS?
-Have you checked the integrity of your storage drives using CrystalDiskInfo or HDSentinal?
-Does this issue strictly only happen during gaming?
-What monitor / cable are you using and at what resolution?

I've just ran Cinebench with RealTemp open and the individual CPU core temps did not exceed 62 deg.
Also reran Superposition Benchmark (Direct X, Full screen, 2560x1440 QHD, Extreme Shaders, High Texures, Depth of Field and Motion Blur On) and temps quickly rose then plateaued at 64 deg.
I do recall updating a Management Engine about 2-3 days ago.
CrystalDiskInfo states that both my SSD and HDD are in Good Health (If you need any specific parameter and/or all the specific parameter values, I got you, just ask)
Issue occurs mainly when I try to game, though now that you mention it, the PC has inconsistently (not frequently and not always) crashed while doing other tasks (I can't remember). And it has froze twice while left inactive for decent (nothing super long) periods of time.

My monitor is an Acer Predator XB271HU, 27in, 2560x1440, G-Sync, 144Hz(OC to 165Hz), Supports HDMI and Display Port
I use a Display Port, but I have tried switching to HDMI to solve issue to no avail.