Question My PC keeps randomly restarting ?

Thia666

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
PC Specs:
-i3 12100F
-gigabyte h610m s2
-16 GB Ram
-RTX 3060 Ti
-550 Watt PSU, Cooler Master MWE
-1TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 120GB SSD

this pc keeps restarting randomly, sometimes it's restarting itself 12 times in a row just in a single day. and sometimes it doesn't restart at all for a full 1 month. it is really random and unpredictable, makes it hard for me to diagnose what is the cause of this particular issue.
PC is restarting even when it's doing nothing or idle, watching video, browsing, and even when I'm inside bios, so i'am pretty sure this is a hardware issue, not a software issue.

there is no blue screen or anything, the pc just completly turns off and then turns on again.

the weird thing is, when it's not restarting itself, it can play triple A games for 8 hours straight without any restarts.

what i've tried:
-checking the ssd health = it's good
-running memtest86 = memory was fine
-trying to switch between windows 11, windows 10, even linux = pc still restarting randomly
-turning off xmp profile
-disable c-state on bios
-enable power loading on bios
-reset cmos/bios
-update mainboard bios
-disconnecting everything, usb peripherals, ups, stavolt, surge arrester strip. the only thing connected is just a monitor.
-disconnecting front panel (usb hub, audio, power button, reset button, leds)
-powering the pc outside the case
-disconnecting all fans, just in case one of the fan is shorted.
-cleaning dust
-re-seat everything, cpu, ram, gpu, connectors. still no luck
-cpu and gpu temperature are good. not overheating.
-i can't try this pc without gpu since the cpu 12100f doesn't have intergrated graphic.

what i haven't try is replacing hardware.

my question is, is this really a hardware issue?
if it is a hardware issue, what component i should try to replace first? i'am thinking about replacing psu, but i'am still not sure since this pc can run game for more than 8 hours without restart.
the oldest component on this PC is the PSU (2 years 8 month old). the other parts like mainboard, cpu and ram are pretty new i bought it 1 year ago.

what should i try to fix, diagnose, or identify what is the main culprit of this problem?
thanks.

Last edited:

Thia666

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
Is your power supply an original MWE or is it an MWE v2?

What is the EXACT model of the power supply as listed on the label on the side of the unit?
it is cooler master mwe v2 80+ white 230v EU, with flat cables. the seller say it is version 2, but in the box there is no "V2" written anywhere.
the model is MPE-5501-ACABW

so, is there something bad or wrong with this psu?

Last edited:
Is that the model written on the box or on the actual label on the side of the power supply? And actually, it probably doesn't matter anyhow. The MWE v2 White 230v units are pretty low quality. There is absolutely no way it is a good idea to pair it with a 3060 ti. The MWE v2 Gold and White APFC models are not nearly as bad as the 230v only White v2 models.

I really think that would be your best place to start. And here are two somewhat important links to help with that. Both of which are pretty accurate all things considered.

Last edited:

Thia666

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
Is that the model written on the box or on the actual label on the side of the power supply?
yes, i take that picture by my self.

And actually, it probably doesn't matter anyhow. The MWE v2 White 230v units are pretty low quality. There is absolutely no way it is a good idea to pair it with a 3060 ti. The MWE v2 Gold and White APFC models are not nearly as bad as the 230v only White v2 models.

I really think that would be your best place to start. And here are two somewhat important links to help with that. Both of which are pretty accurate all things considered.
on the psu tier-list i see this text:
Cooler Master | MWE V2 [1] White [MPE] 230V Only
it has number [1] with red color, but there is no explanation what is number 1 means, on the bottom part only explanation for number 2 3 4 and up.

i'am going to replace this psu, but still i want to know what makes this psu bad. is there a review that explain why this psu bad?

i'am new to this forum, did you often seeing people complaining about this exact type of psu?
if yes, this psu might be the real culprit of the random restart.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what number 1 means, regardless of that it's on the low quality tier AND more importantly I happen to KNOW that these 80 Plus White MWE v2 units are problematic because I've not only seen a quite a few of them come through here that were the problem but I've also been informed of that fact by somebody very well respected in the industry that happens to work high up for Corsair who is really familiar with that platform and agreed that they are basically garbage.

Does that 100% mean that your PSU is YOUR problem? No, it doesn't. BUT, considering all you've already done to try and resolve the issue, and considering what we already know about those units, it does make it VERY much likely.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Thia666

Prominent
Feb 11, 2022
It doesn't matter what number 1 means, regardless of that it's on the low quality tier AND more importantly I happen to KNOW that these 80 Plus White MWE v2 units are problematic because I've not only seen a quite a few of them come through here that were the problem but I've also been informed of that fact by somebody very well respected in the industry that happens to work high up for Corsair who is really familiar with that platform and agreed that they are basically garbage.

Does that 100% mean that your PSU is YOUR problem? No, it doesn't. BUT, considering all you've already done to try and resolve the issue, and considering what we already know about those units, it does make it VERY much likely.
two weeks ago, when i'm looking for some information about mwe v2 white psu.
i found that some people are complaining that their mwe v2 psu keeps restarting their computer occasionaly. it was on other forum btw.

with the additional information from you, i'am pretty sure that psu was the culprit, and 10 days ago i replace my computer psu.
and there is no restart so far, but it is just 10 days of testing. i'm not 100% sure yet.

i have to keep testing this pc for atleast 40 days to make sure that this pc not restarting anymore.
because with the previous psu (mwe v2 white) installed, sometime the pc doesn't restart at all for full 30 days. i have to make sure that the pc can pass 30 days without any restart.

thanks for your reply.
if there is still a restart problem, i'll reply to this thread.

please do not close this thread until 20 march 2023.
i still need to wait for atleast 40 days of testing.
if there is no reply from me after 20 march 2023, consider the problem fixed.

thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
PC Specs:
-i3 12100F
-gigabyte h610m s2
-16 GB Ram
-RTX 3060 Ti
-550 Watt PSU, Cooler Master MWE
-1TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 120GB SSD

this pc keeps restarting randomly, sometimes it's restarting itself 12 times in a row just in a single day. and sometimes it doesn't restart at all for a full 1 month. it is really random and unpredictable, makes it hard for me to diagnose what is the cause of this particular issue.
PC is restarting even when it's doing nothing or idle, watching video, browsing, and even when I'm inside bios, so i'am pretty sure this is a hardware issue, not a software issue.

there is no blue screen or anything, the pc just completly turns off and then turns on again.

the weird thing is, when it's not restarting itself, it can play triple A games for 8 hours straight without any restarts.

what i've tried:
-checking the ssd health = it's good
-running memtest86 = memory was fine
-trying to switch between windows 11, windows 10, even linux = pc still restarting randomly
-turning off xmp profile
-disable c-state on bios
-enable power loading on bios
-reset cmos/bios
-update mainboard bios
-disconnecting everything, usb peripherals, ups, stavolt, surge arrester strip. the only thing connected is just a monitor.
-disconnecting front panel (usb hub, audio, power button, reset button, leds)
-powering the pc outside the case
-disconnecting all fans, just in case one of the fan is shorted.
-cleaning dust
-re-seat everything, cpu, ram, gpu, connectors. still no luck
-cpu and gpu temperature are good. not overheating.
-i can't try this pc without gpu since the cpu 12100f doesn't have intergrated graphic.

what i haven't try is replacing hardware.

my question is, is this really a hardware issue?
if it is a hardware issue, what component i should try to replace first? i'am thinking about replacing psu, but i'am still not sure since this pc can run game for more than 8 hours without restart.
the oldest component on this PC is the PSU (2 years 8 month old). the other parts like mainboard, cpu and ram are pretty new i bought it 1 year ago.

what should i try to fix, diagnose, or identify what is the main culprit of this problem?
thanks.
I'm just a novice here but when the computer is up you could read the reports windows prints in event viewer and windows health they log exactly when a problem happened and what it was or did you already do that?

DSzymborski

Titan
yes, i take that picture by my self.

on the psu tier-list i see this text:
Cooler Master | MWE V2 [1] White [MPE] 230V Only
it has number [1] with red color, but there is no explanation what is number 1 means, on the bottom part only explanation for number 2 3 4 and up.

i'am going to replace this psu, but still i want to know what makes this psu bad. is there a review that explain why this psu bad?

i'am new to this forum, did you often seeing people complaining about this exact type of psu?
if yes, this psu might be the real culprit of the random restart.

The [1] refers to coil whine due to ripple.

Generally speaking, this is a low-ranking PSU because of the cost-cutting. Cheap capacitors, group-regulation, etc. 230V only isn't inherently bad in and of itself if your power is very stable, but it's something that's a sign of some real cost-cutting, like a new car selling without power windows in 2023. Cooler Master isn't known for having their OEMs use very competent platforms; like Thermaltake, they're one of the mainstream bands that really cheaps out with their PSUs.