Question My pc keeps randomly shutting down

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
It started about 2 months ago. I powered on my PC after lasting for a minute or two it turned off. It then immediately started back up after a few seconds or so but died almost immediately. This repeated several times before I unplugged it. I then plugged it back in but, it immediately turned on then off. I decided to see how many times it would do it. It ended up lasting for an hour just turning on then off a few seconds after then at some point turning back on then off again. Sometimes I'll get lucky and it might last for five minutes or so. In those times I've loaded up high impact games like rust or Total war Warhammer 2, and they have run perfectly all utilization percentages fine all temps fine everything worked perfectly, but it still randomly would shut down. I even ran a PC stress test and that did not seem to effect how long it lasted. I went in and set back the windows version to no avail as well as making sure all drivers were up to date. I heard something about reseating ram being the problem did all possible things I could do with that and it did not work. Another way I know its not RAM is because when testing to see if it was my PSU I did my own testing with another PSU and to make extra sure I sent it to a guy and he also stripped everything leaving just the PSU, Motherboard, and CPU and it still had the exact same problem. I've tried this same thing several times. I went into the hardware monitor through BIOS and decided to take things off one by one to see if any changes were made each time when it shut down. All temperatures and everything were COMPLETELY normal no problems what so ever. I also have tried a few other things like booting it up into safe mode just to see if that would work but I had the same problem. At this point I am completely lost and have no idea what to do.

Some things I haven't tried Complete factory reset, A brand new reinstallation of windows, and I technically haven't tried a full virus scan because it shuts down too fast for me to do it. I did boot it up into safe mode and BIOS so I don't believe its anything to do with that. With that I have the question will any of these work as in if I could would it be a decently probable solution to do a factory reset. The only thing I technically haven't tested as in main hardware is my CPU. The only way I could do that is to go through intel and ask for a replacement saying mine is broken, but I don't think that will fix the problem and will take a lot of time. 1 waiting to get a new one 2 not having a CPU to use for the computer to try some other fixes if any come up 3 The I believe decently high possibility that its not the CPU that is the problem and how much of a massive waste of time that would be. So I also have the could the CPU be a major problem with the situation I'm in?

Thanks you for any help you guys can give. I'm just a teenager in high school and really want to get back to using my PC (especially because were out of school and have more time) Plus I spent ALL my money on it so I'm broke ;)

CPU: Intel i5-9600k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240l RGB 66.7 CFM liquid CPU cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4x8) DDR4-3000 Memory
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1660 TI 6 GB
Case: NZXT h510 ATX
PSU: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 750W 80+ Bronze fully Modular

Spre

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Have you checked the CPU pins?(On the i Series they are Not on the cpu but instead in the socket on the motherboard) and extremely easy to bend(one reason why I have switched to Ryzen)

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Have you checked the CPU pins?(On the i Series they are Not on the cpu but instead in the socket on the motherboard) and extremely easy to bend(one reason why I have switched to Ryzen)

I'll check that and see if that is the problem. Thank you for the reply :)

EDIT: I checked the pins and couldn't find anything wrong with them. I got my old motherboard replaced and now have this newer one so I'm not sure if anything was wrong with the pins on the older one. Thank you for the info though

Last edited: