Question My PC Keeps Restarting While Playing Games

Jul 26, 2019
Hi. My PC keeps restarting by itself when I am in the middle of playing games. I've checked my GPU to see if it would be overheating and it runs at 70c or below the whole time. My PSU definitely has enough wattage to supply power to the whole system and more being an 850W PSU. The only solution that I've come up with is that my CPU is overheating. However, when I use Core Temp to look at the temperatures, I don't get anything higher than 86c. Now I understand that is still high but it shouldn't cause my CPU to restart my PC as the TJ. Max is 100c. My PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k (Coffee Lake)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Platinium (Liquid Cooler)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 850W
HDD: Western Digital 6TB Black
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
Case: NZXT S340 Elite
Case Fans: 2x Corsair Air Series SP120 (Quiet Edition)

This PC isn't brand new as I've had it for around a year now. Please help in any way you can. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If the temps are not the problem. Then try few things:
1) Using the DDU to uninstall the GPU driver first, then reinstall the driver.
DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html
  1. If you oc the cpu, low it little bit.
  2. Test the RAM one by one with MemTest86.
    [*]Use the evga software to low the GPU clock speed little bit, or up the gpu voltage little bit, or the power target little bit.
  3. Make sure you update the drivers and the windows updates too.

Jul 26, 2019
Sorry for the late response. I thought I had fixed the problem but I guess not as it still happens. I uninstalled the graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. When the problem first started my CPU was on its base clock speed. I have since overclocked it but I can lower it to its base clock again if you think that'll help. I'm not sure how to use MemTest86. Could you explain to me how to use it? Thanks for the help!

Jul 26, 2019
Does this image help with finding the issue? It is a picture of an error I found in the reliability history. There were multiple errors like this one.

R3axXxg.png

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019
My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and I have a lot of USB devices plugged into the system. I was going to mention that in the reliability history there were a load of "Windows did not shut down properly" errors.

Because the USBXHCI error, your PC keeps restarting by itself so that you should get these ""Windows did not shut down properly" errors.

So try to unplug all the USB device, only plug the keyboard/mice in, play the game to see you get the same problem or not.

If you get the same problem, check the reliability history to see what problem it is. If you don't get any problem, then plug other USB device one by one back, in this way you may find which USB device to cause the problem.

Jul 26, 2019
The controller is just a PS4 controller that I've connected through a USB port. I don't think PS4 controllers have drivers for Windows. I did unplug the controller just to test as after I had plugged everything else and tried it, it still restarted. When I unplugged the controller and tried it, it hasn't restarted yet. The thing is, I've been using this PS4 controller for almost 4 months now and my issue only started about a month ago. So, is the controller really the issue here?

Jul 26, 2019
I have a GameStop in my town but I don't like the Xbox controller's configuration very much. Plus the PS4 controller was working just fine about a month ago. Then all of the sudden this restarting issue started. That is if the controller is even the problem.

True
But there have been win 10 1903 updates also.
2 weeks ago i used my printer just fine.
Yesterday had to reinstall the printer drivers and software after the last 1903 updates.
So as you said there are no drivers for the ps4 controller.
And it may not be the controller but 1 of the other usb components plugged in possible doing the same as above.

Can you get around in the game with the keyboard only without crashing?

Jul 26, 2019
I tried playing the game that normally crashes my PC (Rocket League) and Overwatch with just my keyboard and mouse and nothing ever happened. I also tried using my controller but plugged into a 2.0 USB port instead of a 3.0 and also got no crashes. That's not saying it won't cause one eventually. I am just saying as of right now it hasn't caused a crash.

Jul 26, 2019
Update: I tried running MemTest86 and got absolutely zero errors. Also, I was playing Minecraft with some friends earlier and got another restart. From that experience I have come to the conclusion that high graphical games aren’t the only kind of games that can cause my PC to randomly restart.
A while back I had my PC sent to some people who told me that my PSU wasn’t the issue but now that I’ve tested almost everything else it could be, I’m starting to doubt their findings.

Jul 26, 2019
Also, considering the fact that my PC restarted while playing Minecraft (which I don’t use a controller for), I would say that the PS4 controller isn’t the issue here.