My PC keeps shuting down!

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello, I have a custom PC and was working perfectly. Then I got a Nvidia 520 2Gigabytes, and was working fine but since a month ago it keeps shuting down, First while playing STARCRAFT 2, and then it just..... turns off, even If I'm on facebook.

I have a Gigabyte 970 A-UDE3 motherboard
16Gigs of Ram (kingstone)
AMD FX 6 Core processor
2TB seagate hard drive

Anyone has any idea of what is happening? Thanks

Solution
If the power supply is a decent brand, 600w should be more than enough. Your system doesn't require much juice, especially with a 520 GPU that takes very little power compared to your average gaming card. Do you know the model and brand of the PSU?

As for the 520, if it is still under warranty I suggest RMAing it (return it) or if its to late for that but under warranty, call the manufacturer and see if they will fix it. If its running hot, and the inside is clean of dust buildup, I would suspect a defective GPU as opposed to it being the fan.
Is your 520 passively cooled? (i.e. no fan)

Also, is that HWMonitor report at idle or under load?

Assuming that the temps are at idle, your 520 is running hot and when under load probably overheating. At idle you should be ~40c, the report you gave shows it at 60c.

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Ok! I will check that out, the motherboard manual said that with a 500 watts was enough but, then I will get anotherone!

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

it does have a fan of its own, I didn't had the problem with my previous card, so it is getting hotter than it should, thank you, I will look into that tomorrow, to get another fan, or a bigger powersupply

If the power supply is a decent brand, 600w should be more than enough. Your system doesn't require much juice, especially with a 520 GPU that takes very little power compared to your average gaming card. Do you know the model and brand of the PSU?

As for the 520, if it is still under warranty I suggest RMAing it (return it) or if its to late for that but under warranty, call the manufacturer and see if they will fix it. If its running hot, and the inside is clean of dust buildup, I would suspect a defective GPU as opposed to it being the fan.

Solution

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

That could be a solution, This never happened when I had the previous Card, I have to check about the warranty, thanks!

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I have been checking the temps of my processor (AMD FX-6100) at IDLE its about 25°, but if I open a browser or something it goes up to 40°, if I open STARCRAFT while playing it it goes over 70-80° why is that? I know that the "MAX" temp for my processor should be 70

I would try re-seating the heatsink and fan on top of the CPU. Also, get some fresh thermal paste like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Starcraft 2 is CPU intensive, but the fan on the CPU should increase its speed to keep it cool. If re-seating the HSF and applying fresh thermal paste doesn't help, maybe get an aftermarket cooler for it.

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

How do I re-seat the heatsink and fan of the CPU? I just added 2 more fans

I mean to remove the HSF and replace it with fresh paste and make sure its snug on the CPU. If its loose, has dried paste or too little/too much paste, problems with heat arise. There are video guides on youtube to help guide through the process, if needed.

adrrich

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Oh I get it!! thank you very much!!!

TRENDING THREADS