Question My pc keeps shutting down abruptly

jerryyyz

Prominent
May 18, 2018
After 1 year of having my PC, for a month or so, the PC keeps shutting down in a fraction of a second. Without pressing shut down or anything. It has happened when I play CS GO and Crusader Kings 2. But it happens each week, so I wouldn't say its common. What might cause this? Somebody told me its the PSU and the PC is under powered but I had the same setup for a year.

Please tell me what I should do.

jerryyyz

Prominent
May 18, 2018
If you can let us know you full PC specs that would help identify the issue. So Power Supply, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, CPU cooler and RAM at the minimum...
Gtx 1080 8GB, i7 6700k 4ghz, 32gb ram, 3tb hdd, 126gb ssd, Corsair 750W gold rated Psu, Nh-d 15 noctua cpu cooler

Last edited:
Okay based on your specs which are more than good by the way with a solid PSU and CPU cooler so no issues on the power supply at all and the 6700K is no slouch and still a fairly decent CPU for gaming. I would first make sure you are up to date on all drivers and the latest version of Windows 10 so all the latest updates. Also double check all your cable leeds like Power to the CPU and GPU, make sure the GPU is on properly and in general just make sure all the cables are in properly as something might have loosened over time. Take this opportunity to clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS to the optimal performance settings and then apply your saved overclock preset.

Then I would look to your temperatures. Do a AIDA64 Extreme system stability test and report your temps. If you are going into the very high 80's and up then the cooler may not be on properly or it may have moved, either way reapply thermal paste and re install the Noctua.

finally check Task Manager and check for any programmes causing high CPU usage that you do not recognise. Also disable any non essential programmes from starting up.

Also how full is your SSD?

It may be the power supply or some component is failing but I think we have to rule out everything else first...

Hopefully others better than me will jump in with suggestions as well..