My PC keeps shutting off and on when playing games

Josh D

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I have a problem where I can't play games on my PC. After playing for about 10-30 minutes my PC will shut off for about 3 seconds then it'll turn back on. My video cards fan would only make a loud grinding kind of noise when I would play games. I've checked my temps with CPU ID while playing in windowed mode (I only have one monitor) and the CPU only reaches 40 C and the video card only reached 63 C. I took it to one of my local repair shops and they couldn't get it to crash.

Here's the list of games it has crashed on:
The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim
The Evil Within
The Forest
Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Island
Fallout 3

And here's my PC's specs:
OS is Windows 7
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87
Video Card: EVGA GeForce Superclocked 780 3GB
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
CPU: Intel i7 4770K
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2X8GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and WD 1TB
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110

I've had this build since the end of March last year. They blew the video card out and it stopped making the noise in the fan but it's still shutting off and turning back on when I just play games. If someone could help me that would be awesome.

Solution
Got your PM. I'd replace the power supply immediately, before there is a major issue, like a fire or explosion. I would not be inclined to suggest running the system any further until the PSU is replaced.

Is that unit still under warranty? If so, I'd generate an RMA immediately. If not, I'd order one immediately. Do you require it to be modular and what is your budget? Do you have a preference on capacity? Your GPU calls for a minimum of 600w but I'd probably recommend going with either a 620w Seasonic or a 750w EVGA. I'll be glad to recommend a couple of very good options if you like. This is why I never recommend Corsair PSUs, not even their high end models like the HX series. I see more Corsair and Thermaltake failures both in my...
That's only part of the sensors. You need to scroll down and take another screenshot. Providing screenshots of ALL sensors, both at idle AND under load, would be very helpful.

If you click on Post an answer instead of quick reply, there will be a toolbar. You can click the picture icon and paste the image URL directly there so the image will be displayed directly in the post instead of another site.

garretsw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
It is most likely an issue with overheating. Keep posting screens of your temps under load. If not you could have a faulty driver and might need to reinstall them. Beyond that I would recommend just doing a complete system cleaning and format that sucker! I had to do it once because my system went haywire for no reason. It sucks but my system ran really well after that.

Checklist:
Temps
Drivers
OS

Did you eliminate the power strip from the equation? The power supply voltage specs look ok. I'd say the problem is possibly that if you're hearing grinding from the GPU, one of the fan bearings has failed or is failing, and is either not turning well, creating a major current draw to the fan motor, or is causing one of the fans to hit the casing and either way is drawing excessive current from the PSU when it does that or is causing it to not cool as well. Since there is nothing else on the GPU that could "grind" it has to be fan related.

It may also be that if one of the GPU fan sensors detects a blockage or loss of RPM it's kicking the card off, which resets the system. I'd try to see if I could tell exactly what's going on with the grinding. Does the problem with the rig resetting only happen in conjunction with the GPU noise or does it do it even when there is no noise?

Josh D

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Yeah I have it plugged right into my wall now. It has only shut off when the noise happens. As soon as I load into a game the fan starts grinding right away. I was playing Skyrim the other day and it was doing it for awhile then it stopped eventually. But yesterday I was playing Battlefield 4 for about 5-8 minutes, with the fan still grinding, then it reset.

Probably the fan or the second fan isn't spinning until it's under load from a game at which time it becomes a problem. If you can't RMA the card I'd either look into a replacement aftermarket or stock fan, or entire cooling solution, or get a new card.

Make absolutely certain, with the side panel off, that it IS for sure the fans on the card and not the power supply, CPU or case fans.

Josh D

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I took the panel off and it actually is the PS. It was hard to tell being so close together. And the noise happens when the fan is/isn't spinning

Got your PM. I'd replace the power supply immediately, before there is a major issue, like a fire or explosion. I would not be inclined to suggest running the system any further until the PSU is replaced.

Is that unit still under warranty? If so, I'd generate an RMA immediately. If not, I'd order one immediately. Do you require it to be modular and what is your budget? Do you have a preference on capacity? Your GPU calls for a minimum of 600w but I'd probably recommend going with either a 620w Seasonic or a 750w EVGA. I'll be glad to recommend a couple of very good options if you like. This is why I never recommend Corsair PSUs, not even their high end models like the HX series. I see more Corsair and Thermaltake failures both in my normal course of servicing computers and on Tom's than probably any other brands commonly purchased.

It might also be possible to just replace the fan on that unit if that's all the problem is, but I probably wouldn't recommend it just in case there are other issues.

Solution
Well, lets just see what happens after you get the new unit. Hopefully, that will be the end of any problems, but computers are fickle sometimes, so you just never know. Unfortunately, as with many things, cars come to mind, you have to sometimes just start throwing parts at it to resolve intermittent issues.

Josh D

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Since the corsair is semi modular, my HDD, video card cables are still connected and I was wondering if I could just connect those to the new PS without switching them out with the new cables

TRENDING THREADS