My PC keeps shutting off and on when playing games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Josh D

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I have a problem where I can't play games on my PC. After playing for about 10-30 minutes my PC will shut off for about 3 seconds then it'll turn back on. My video cards fan would only make a loud grinding kind of noise when I would play games. I've checked my temps with CPU ID while playing in windowed mode (I only have one monitor) and the CPU only reaches 40 C and the video card only reached 63 C. I took it to one of my local repair shops and they couldn't get it to crash.

Here's the list of games it has crashed on:
The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim
The Evil Within
The Forest
Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Island
Fallout 3

And here's my PC's specs:
OS is Windows 7
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87
Video Card: EVGA GeForce Superclocked 780 3GB
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
CPU: Intel i7 4770K
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2X8GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and WD 1TB
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110

I've had this build since the end of March last year. They blew the video card out and it stopped making the noise in the fan but it's still shutting off and turning back on when I just play games. If someone could help me that would be awesome.

Solution
Got your PM. I'd replace the power supply immediately, before there is a major issue, like a fire or explosion. I would not be inclined to suggest running the system any further until the PSU is replaced.

Is that unit still under warranty? If so, I'd generate an RMA immediately. If not, I'd order one immediately. Do you require it to be modular and what is your budget? Do you have a preference on capacity? Your GPU calls for a minimum of 600w but I'd probably recommend going with either a 620w Seasonic or a 750w EVGA. I'll be glad to recommend a couple of very good options if you like. This is why I never recommend Corsair PSUs, not even their high end models like the HX series. I see more Corsair and Thermaltake failures both in my...
What kind of rattling noise. And if you say the kind that rattles, amma kick ya. There shouldn't be any rattling noises coming from any PSU, especially a brand new one. Are you positive it's the PSU making the noise and not possibly one of the GPU, case or CPU fans?

Thought you might like that unit. I'll never buy a PSU again that isn't Seasonic, EVGA, XFX or Antec. If you have a faulty fan on your GPU you might be able to get a replacement unit, or you might have to replace the entire cooling unit. Not too sure on that. It depends on the particular cooling system. Considering the cost of an aftermarket GPU cooler, it might be a better option to just replace the card if the individual fans are not replaceable.

Keep a close eye on your GPU temps if there is a fan issue. It doesn't take much for the balance to be thrown off and an overheating condition to occur. If temps get to a questionable level or the noise becomes significant, take action. Check and make sure the fan blades aren't just "slapping" something that can be moved out of the way or that the cooler bracket is off just a little bit.

Worst case scenario, you can always contact EVGA about a replacement cooler, OR, if you've had the card less than three years, and bought it new, it should still be under warranty.