Question My PC lags after a few minutes of being left idle and then display switches off

leah38124

Honorable
May 9, 2015
Hey,

So I've found that when I'm leaving my PC idle for about 5-10 minutes it starts to lag hard, freezes a couple of times by the display Flicking off and on again even if I'm using it at this point, and then the display eventually flicks off for good and I can't wake it with any peripherals. It usually results in a hard reboot which is frustrating if I'm losing work. I've noticed that if you play a video like Netflix it doesn't do it, it stays on. And I've also noticed that now my WiFi adapter is also starting to flick on and off. I've tried looking at the sleep settings, changing the ram around, cleaning the whole thing, a clean reinstall and nothing seems to be fixing it

I'm using Windows 10 and specs are below

Intel i7-6700k
Asus z170-A motherboard
2x Kingston hyperx 8gb ddr4 ram sticks
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
And a Netgear wireless USB adapter

Hey,

So I've found that when I'm leaving my PC idle for about 5-10 minutes it starts to lag hard, freezes a couple of times by the display Flicking off and on again even if I'm using it at this point, and then the display eventually flicks off for good and I can't wake it with any peripherals. It usually results in a hard reboot which is frustrating if I'm losing work. I've noticed that if you play a video like Netflix it doesn't do it, it stays on. And I've also noticed that now my WiFi adapter is also starting to flick on and off. I've tried looking at the sleep settings, changing the ram around, cleaning the whole thing, a clean reinstall and nothing seems to be fixing it

I'm using Windows 10 and specs are below

Intel i7-6700k
Asus z170-A motherboard
2x Kingston hyperx 8gb ddr4 ram sticks
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
And a Netgear wireless USB adapter
Check you Power Plan in Control panel, probably trying to go to Sleep Mode.