[SOLVED] my pc likes to start lagging on games randomly

HelpMe64353

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
I have a pretty mid end laptop which can run most games at a solid 30 fps the problem is that it started lagging and everything it was ok when i was playing with my friends running at 40 fps full max graphics then i take a break i come back BOOM 10 fps 1 sec input lag cant fix it thats why im reaching out to you guys

Solution
You need to observe Task Manager or Resource Manager (just one or the other - not both at the same time) while first not gaming and then while gaming.

It does take time to learn to navigate the tools and get a sense of the information being provided.

Observe system performance in three ways: 1) immediately after boot while doing nothing. Then 2) drag the window to one side or the other and observe while doing light work or browsing. Lastly, 3) while gaming.

Look for some bottleneck.

Try to find something that you can do to "control" the fps drop. Or discover something your computer starts doing and the fps drops. Maybe a backup or AV scan.....

Work to understand what is running on your system; perhaps launched during...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include laptop make, model, hardware specs, and OS.

What games are you playing? Match the games' recommended hardware specs etc. to the laptop's specs.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance while not gaming and then while gaming.

HelpMe64353

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
Update your post to include laptop make, model, hardware specs, and OS.

What games are you playing? Match the games' recommended hardware specs etc. to the laptop's specs.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance while not gaming and then while gaming.
CPU intel core i-7 3720QM
GPU GTM 650
MODEL inspiron 7720
games Csgo,roblox,minecraft,
Hope this is enough to help

Ralston18

Titan
You need to observe Task Manager or Resource Manager (just one or the other - not both at the same time) while first not gaming and then while gaming.

It does take time to learn to navigate the tools and get a sense of the information being provided.

Observe system performance in three ways: 1) immediately after boot while doing nothing. Then 2) drag the window to one side or the other and observe while doing light work or browsing. Lastly, 3) while gaming.

Look for some bottleneck.

Try to find something that you can do to "control" the fps drop. Or discover something your computer starts doing and the fps drops. Maybe a backup or AV scan.....

Work to understand what is running on your system; perhaps launched during startup or launched by you plus what resources are being used by each application, process, or service.

As for the PSU - if it is indeed only 1.5 years old it may be fine. However (depending on the make, model, and wattage) the PSU may not be up to the power demands of the games you are playing. And a low end PSU is more likely to start failing early in its' designed life span.

Another thought: check update history - maybe while you were taking a break some update was installed or applied.

Solution