Question My PC loses video signal after screen is turned off

tiggerdyret

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I've had this issue where if I turn off all my screens my computer doesn't send any signal to the screen, when it's turned on again. Sometimes it happens instantly sometimes it takes a while.
I'm not sure if the system freezes or is not responding, but apps like Spotify still run, while in this state, but I'm unable to turn the computer on or off, so I have to cut the power and restart to get back in.
This has been going on for a couple of months, but I did a full format a few weeks ago and it worked fine for some time, but now the problem is back. It could be an issue with a Windows 10 update or Nvidia driver, but I think it has endured through multiple updates if that is the case.

Any ideas on what is going on and how to fix it?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs. How many monitors are you using: make & models?

Are you using multiple GPUs, different ports on the same GPU, or a some combination of mobo video port(s) and GPUs?

Event Viewer or Reliability History may be capturing some related informational event, error code or warning. Worth a look.

You can also try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to watch what is happening while you run off monitors one by one - down to just one last monitor. Try different monitor shutdown orders. Be methodical, keep notes.

You may discover some bottleneck or other system anomaly.

Reactions: tiggerdyret

ASK THE COMMUNITY