[SOLVED] My Pc makes loud fan sounds every now and then

Aug 4, 2020
I have had my pc for about 6months and all of a sudden yesterday when I played Fortnite my pc made like a loud fan or engine sound. It does it for 10 seconds then stops and might do it again straight after or it might not do it again for a bit. All my temperatures and fan speeds are normally and on some video games I play it won’t make the sound. I was wonder if anyone could help me please.

Solution
i was using 4 fans, all well suited ... i found this out tinkering w/ the bios and makings some settings to just let the fans run at full speed and ignore the temp ... it did run like an airplane, even w/ the side cover removed. i'm still puzzled as to how dust can accumulate inside the tower. if i was smoking in the house or had pets, i could see this as probable.

i guess my previous advice obviously didn't help, which leaves me wondering if perhaps your motherboard bios settings might be misconfigured, as primarily the cpu fan is controlled from here. you stated you are within a tolerable range for your cpu range ... and also am assuming your testing that with a in-OS 3rd party software. have you compared that temp to what the...
What are your system specs? sounds like the fans are just doing their job and ramping up when they need to. If you have an aircooled or even a AIO cooler there could be some dust build up between the fan and the fins/radiator that needs to be blown out with compressed air.

Also (depending where you are) if it is summer the ambient temp will be higher so the fans need to work a little harder to keep the temps to what is set in the fan curve settings.

Aug 4, 2020
What are your system specs? sounds like the fans are just doing their job and ramping up when they need to. If you have an aircooled or even a AIO cooler there could be some dust build up between the fan and the fins/radiator that needs to be blown out with compressed air.

Also (depending where you are) if it is summer the ambient temp will be higher so the fans need to work a little harder to keep the temps to what is set in the fan curve settings.

I wouldn’t know the specs off the top of my head. Atm where I am it’s winter. It never used to do it before and all of a sudden it has just started. I tried cleaning it with compressed air and I got some dust out but there was still more on the blades. I recently updated my drivers, could that have anything to do with it my drivers are the G Force 1660

Could be your GPU fans are ramping up to keep the temps, nothing to worry about but you can set the fan speed with something like MSI afterburner and the a tons of videos on how to use it on Youtube.

Australia, New Zealand,SA ? I am following England-Ireland in the ODI cricket, we need a big score to catch Eng.... and our batting is as rusty as an old farm gate .....

darool

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012
with most of my fans and heat cooling factors ... i always leave the side cover off, ya said PC, so i'm just guessing a tower. i've tended to gather plenty of cpu fans over the years, which they seem to produce a higher air-flow. so i literally mount two fans in parallel pushing air down into the heat sink.

as far as the mini-airplane running in my machine, i can fully cope w/ that as opposed to over-heating anything. i use a separate fan to blow over the entirety of the unit, even mounted a chasis fan on the front as this is the closest placement for my hard drives and memory.

most bios come w/ a temp meter for the cpu. if it goes above that limit ... never tested it, but i believe it shuts your system down.

a secondary problem depending on ventilation throughout your rig, dust may collect within the heat sink. normally a can of compressed air will free up the dust, which is in sense acting as a insulator and blocking the fan. it can become so severe, if you have top mounted fans to remove them to clean ... worst case, remove the heat sink ... AND OF COURSE REMOVE THE POWER CORD FROM THE MACHINE AND GROUND YOURSELF OUT (i've never seen a machine w/o a ground, so simply touching the outside of the tower should be sufficient.

i guess on one final note, if your bios is OC, might consider down clocking it to the factory specs.

Aug 4, 2020
with most of my fans and heat cooling factors ... i always leave the side cover off, ya said PC, so i'm just guessing a tower. i've tended to gather plenty of cpu fans over the years, which they seem to produce a higher air-flow. so i literally mount two fans in parallel pushing air down into the heat sink.

as far as the mini-airplane running in my machine, i can fully cope w/ that as opposed to over-heating anything. i use a separate fan to blow over the entirety of the unit, even mounted a chasis fan on the front as this is the closest placement for my hard drives and memory.

most bios come w/ a temp meter for the cpu. if it goes above that limit ... never tested it, but i believe it shuts your system down.

a secondary problem depending on ventilation throughout your rig, dust may collect within the heat sink. normally a can of compressed air will free up the dust, which is in sense acting as a insulator and blocking the fan. it can become so severe, if you have top mounted fans to remove them to clean ... worst case, remove the heat sink ... AND OF COURSE REMOVE THE POWER CORD FROM THE MACHINE AND GROUND YOURSELF OUT (i've never seen a machine w/o a ground, so simply touching the outside of the tower should be sufficient.

i guess on one final note, if your bios is OC, might consider down clocking it to the factory specs.
Thank u for your help, My temperature and fan speeds are fine because In was monitoring them as I was playing. The strange thing is how it just started doing it when it never used to. My computer has pretty good ventilation with three side mounted fans

darool

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012
i was using 4 fans, all well suited ... i found this out tinkering w/ the bios and makings some settings to just let the fans run at full speed and ignore the temp ... it did run like an airplane, even w/ the side cover removed. i'm still puzzled as to how dust can accumulate inside the tower. if i was smoking in the house or had pets, i could see this as probable.

i guess my previous advice obviously didn't help, which leaves me wondering if perhaps your motherboard bios settings might be misconfigured, as primarily the cpu fan is controlled from here. you stated you are within a tolerable range for your cpu range ... and also am assuming your testing that with a in-OS 3rd party software. have you compared that temp to what the bios settings are set for? i guess ya' could reset the bios, take notes on the max ... it should be properly rated if you're using a standard cpu for your mobo. i think i would definitely look up a suitable range for the cpu and manually set that in the bios.

anywho, the last thing i want to do is leave ya' w/ advice that might over-heat the cpu. you do have the fans plugged into their proper places, cpu - on-board mobo cpu fan, chassis fan ... i always ignore this setup opting to move a fan w/ the greatest throughput to the inside of the PC or as close as i can to the memory cards, gfx, or hard drives ... i guess as a final note, have ya' actually isolated the fan that's running at full speed for this period: cpu, chassis, i have an extra one on mobo, gfx ... ?

Solution