Question My PC needs new life

Jul 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I built a PC around 5 years ago now solely for the purpose of gaming and, despite relatively heavy usage over the years, have got absolutely no upgrades for it is by all accounts the exact same rig I bought all those years ago which was by no means impressive even when I first bought it. It’s done a decent job of allowing me to play some pretty demanding games over the years even though I literally have no idea how but i thinks it’s finally come to breathe some new life into this heap of shit. I got a 250 something gig SSD to slap in there but besides that I don’t really know what to do next as I know next to nothing about computers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P:S Here are my current specs as best as I can give them.

500 Watt power supply (silver)
MSI R9 380 4g
8GB DDR3 hyper x fury ram
AMD FX 8320
Some MSI motherboard I don’t really know what it is if I’m honest.

Thanks everyone!’

Jul 30, 2019
You're looking at replacing all components with exception to the case drives. What case do you have?
You could potentially keep your old build the way it is and order a new case/drivers for a separate build as well.
You're looking at replacing all components with exception to the case drives. What case do you have?
You could potentially keep your old build the way it is and order a new case/drivers for a separate build as well.
I was hoping to keep most of the parts as I don’t have a very big budget I just want to maybe add some more power to the current build so that I can run games much better

Jul 30, 2019
Oh I forgot to say my preference would be to add things to the build and only replace components if absolutely necessary.
Thanks again you’re helping me a lot!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What brand and exact model is the PSU? That can make a difference.

Currently, I would say that maybe a video card upgrade would help some, as your resolution of 1920x1200 is slightly more demanding on the video card than the standard 1920x1080. Maybe a 1660, 1660Ti, or a Vega 56. You can then move it over to a new platform.

Maybe the PSU as well - depending on what exact model. Also, if you go Vega 56, the PSU will not be enough.

HOWEVER - aside from those things, and the case, the rest is a "dead platform" issue. AM3 is dead, and DDR3 is not used anymore. If you were to upgrade to a new system, you'd be looking at CPU, motherboard, and RAM. The CPU is about as much as you're going to get out of the old platform. No CPU upgrade (and I'm being generous with that term) for your existing board will be worth spending any money on.

Jul 30, 2019
You can't really upgrade an old PC to new PC status. You can improve it but for the most part your motherboard holds you back to how much it can be improved. It really depends on how much you want to spend. And how much you want it to improve. Best bet is to just build a brand new PC from the ground up.