[SOLVED] My PC only allows me to use 8gb out of 16gb installed ram, help.

Jan 27, 2021
I'm using a 2017-2018-ish prebuilt gaming pc, ASUSTek Computer Inc. AMD Ryzen 5 1400-Quad-Core processor 3.20ghz, 16gb RAM (it came with 1 8gb but i had another laying around).
it only allows me to use 8gb. I've tried looking at the BIOS and updating it but theres virtually NOTHING in the bios that i can change or touch, i dont have one of those cool looking 2077 gaming bios with overclocking settings, mine looks like a 2004 Dell computer blue and white bios with literally no options to change anything.

Pleeeaaseeee help it's driving me crazy, I'm not tech savvy so explain it like I'm 5.
Thanks.

Solution
H110? sounds rather 'Intel-ish'? :)

Ryzen mainboards are generally recognized as being 'somewhat less tolerant' of mismatched sticks...; I'd get a 2 stick kit approved/tested/validated at your desired speeds with your actual mainboard...(whatever mainboard that actually is.)
Jan 27, 2021
the wont work ogheter not have even a similar jedec timings and you could not ajust new on to old one settings so your best option is to get a similar one as new samsung .
How will I know that the same samsung ram has same "jedec timings" ?
is there no way to make them... have the same timings? bruh im poor as <Mod Edit> please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That a H110M motherboard on a 1st gen Ryzen pc. Max ram speed is 2133MHz.

When mixing ram of differing values, the memory controller will run the ram at the highest voltage, highest timings and lowest speeds of the 2x sticks.

Bad part of cpu-z is it doesn't show Every jedec table, there are more, that 2400 does have a 2133 table, it's most likely #4 or #5 and not visible. If it was compatible it most likely would run at 16-15-15-36-2T @ 1.2v, 1067MHz when paired.

I'd suggest updating the bios, just make sure to read any bios update notes, do NOT just update to the latest. So if your bios is Ver. 4011 and the latest is Ver. 4023 then read ALL the in-between, you may have to update the bios several times to get current. Meaning you'd have to update to Ver. 4015 first, then Ver. 4019 then finally Ver. 4023.

First gen Ryzen were Very particular when it came to Ram, even identical sticks from the same kit could have issues.

Jan 27, 2021
That a H110M motherboard on a 1st gen Ryzen pc. Max ram speed is 2133MHz.

When mixing ram of differing values, the memory controller will run the ram at the highest voltage, highest timings and lowest speeds of the 2x sticks.

Bad part of cpu-z is it doesn't show Every jedec table, there are more, that 2400 does have a 2133 table, it's most likely #4 or #5 and not visible. If it was compatible it most likely would run at 16-15-15-36-2T @ 1.2v, 1067MHz when paired.

I'd suggest updating the bios, just make sure to read any bios update notes, do NOT just update to the latest. So if your bios is Ver. 4011 and the latest is Ver. 4023 then read ALL the in-between, you may have to update the bios several times to get current. Meaning you'd have to update to Ver. 4015 first, then Ver. 4019 then finally Ver. 4023.

First gen Ryzen were Very particular when it came to Ram, even identical sticks from the same kit could have issues.

here is my BIOS, it sucks, i cant find any other.

is it possible to download a different kind of BIOS for this motherboard? could you find me one? i managed to get a USB finally to update my current BIOS but there wasnt anything new. its 2018 garbage..

H110? sounds rather 'Intel-ish'? :)

Ryzen mainboards are generally recognized as being 'somewhat less tolerant' of mismatched sticks...; I'd get a 2 stick kit approved/tested/validated at your desired speeds with your actual mainboard...(whatever mainboard that actually is.)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS