[SOLVED] My PC Only Detects One Stick of RAM

Pau_RM

Prominent
Aug 24, 2020
So basically back in January, I traveled internationally with my PC. I took my GPU, CPU and cooler, and my RAM with me on my carry-on (the rest I checked-in but it was well secured with bubble wrap and Styrofoam. When I got there, after building the PC again it only recognized 8 GB, not 16. Back then on this forum, I was told it was probably just the stick, but after 7 months I ordered more sticks today and after installing them it still only recognizes 8 GB. My motherboard has 4 slots and when this happened last time I tried with all slots and it only ever recognized 8 GB. Is it even possible for 3 DIMM slots to stop working but the 2nd one is just fine? I'm quite lost and frustrated at this point so if anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for everyone's time.

You should post the whole build here first.

As for your problem, from what I've gathered all of your modules work individually and only on the 2nd slot. If you, let's say, insert only one working module in the other slots(1,3 or 4) are you able to POST?

Another thing... I'm guessing that your original sticks were matched(they were in a kit). Did you buy the newer modules in kits?

Pau_RM

Prominent
Aug 24, 2020
Make and model motherboard?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

RAM sticks: make, model, specs?

Did you purchase a matched set for dual channel?
-Motherboard MSI Tomohawk b450

-Original Sticks (2 stick kit) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 MHz 16 GB kit
-Sticks I received today- Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz

The rest of the build-
-Ryzen 7 2700x
-EVGA Geforce RTX 2070
-EVGA 750 W Power Supply
-1 TB Samsung SSD

Also, it had always recognized the 16 GB until I traveled with it so it's possible that the Motherboard got damaged but I don't think that's the case because when I tried them in every DIMM Slot it only recognized 8GB. I did remember thinking it was a damaged stick because it wont post when I only used one (the suspected broken one) but the same exact thing is happening with a brand new set of RAM.

Pau_RM

Prominent
Aug 24, 2020
You should post the whole build here first.

As for your problem, from what I've gathered all of your modules work individually and only on the 2nd slot. If you, let's say, insert only one working module in the other slots(1,3 or 4) are you able to POST?

Another thing... I'm guessing that your original sticks were matched(they were in a kit). Did you buy the newer modules in kits?
-Motherboard MSI Tomohawk b450

-Original Sticks (2 stick kit) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 MHz 16 GB kit
-Sticks I received today- Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz

The rest of the build-
-Ryzen 7 2700x
-EVGA Geforce RTX 2070
-EVGA 750 W Power Supply
-1 TB Samsung SSD

Also, it had always recognized the 16 GB until I traveled with it so it's possible that the Motherboard got damaged but I don't think that's the case because when I tried them in every DIMM Slot it only recognized 8GB. I did remember thinking it was a damaged stick because it wont post when I only used one (the suspected broken one) but the same exact thing is happening with a brand new set of RAM.

Pau_RM

Prominent
Aug 24, 2020

FYI:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.4-GSE-LITE.pdf

[Do verify that I identified the correct manual.]

Reference physically numbered Page 28.

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first".

Review the User Guide and try re

FYI:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.4-GSE-LITE.pdf

[Do verify that I identified the correct manual.]

Reference physically numbered Page 28.

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first".

Review the User Guide and try reinstalling the memory.

installing the memory.
Yes it was the correct manual and I did what it asked and it says I only have 8000 Mb in the system status of the BIOS. I tried with both sticks and every time it says I only have 8000 Mb even though in "Memory-Z" in the overclocking section it recognizes both sticks in the correct DIMM slots and says each separate stick has 8000 Mb.