Question My PC only detects TV when said TV is off. As soon as I turn it on, it disconnects.

Sep 1, 2021
I have a GTX 1060 3gb graphics card, Ryzen 5 3600 (no integrated graphics). I have 2 other monitors connected as well. The TV is a SAMSUNG Smart TV. I have used it as a monitor before, but with a different graphic card. I am trying to connect them both via HDMI.

The issue at hand is the PC ONLY detects my TV when it is off. I can even customize all of its display settings. However, when I turn on the TV, it simply plays the windows "disconnected" sound and my PC stops detecting it.

There are two other threads with the same problem, but no solution.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Add some detail regarding the specific connections being used from PC/GPU to monitors and TV.

Ports, cables, etc..

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correlate with the TV's failure to connect.

Sep 1, 2021
I dug even deeper, and someone suggested I literally flip my HDMI cable. As in plugging the end going to the PC into the TV and vice versa, and I kid you not, it worked.

I dont know if the cable I have is just poor quality and behaves that way. I am not the most savvy when it comes to this.

Last edited by a moderator: