[SOLVED] My pc only turns on when i remove pcie cables from my graphics card

Sep 4, 2019
So i was playing that new game, control, when my pc suddenly crashed and, trying to fix it, i entered several times to the game to do it but it kept crashing till, in one crash, i couldnt boot up my pc again. So i started trying to reboot but it didnt work. Despite the whole system turned on (even the graphics card with it leds and fans) there was no beep or image, so i unplugged the card and reboot and the pc started up working well through the CPU graphics.
I've been struggling with this problem for 2 days and i think i tried everything excepting reflash the gpu's BIOS.
So, whats the problem? Could you please help me? Everything seems to work fine, even the card but i cant boot up when i plug the pcie cables to it. I even changed the thermal compound of the card but dont know what else to do, please help.

System specifications:
Cpu: Intel I5 4690k
Mb: gigabyte ga h97-gaming 3
Gpu: sapphire r9 280x dual-x
Psu: thermaltake 650W 80 plus bronze
Samsung 850 Evo ssd

Solution
Well, since you're so sure it's not the psu, then you have a dead gpu.
https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-100363bf4l/p/N82E16814202061
I came across a number of reviews mentioning oil and overheating/burnt-out cards. Another discovered it being due to some poor oil application resulting in the VRMs cooking themselves to death.

[QUOTE/]
"I had one DOA that i got an RMA replacement for. I just had the other one burn out on me. And by burn out I mean smoke and delamination of the PCB on the backside of the VRM. I have contacted them for a warranty RMA.
To everyone complaining about throttling, it absolutely is the VRM temperature. Load up GPU-Z and you can see the temp of the VRM gets really high, then the card...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I came across a number of reviews mentioning oil and overheating/burnt-out cards. Another discovered it being due to some poor oil application resulting in the VRMs cooking themselves to death.

[QUOTE/]
"I had one DOA that i got an RMA replacement for. I just had the other one burn out on me. And by burn out I mean smoke and delamination of the PCB on the backside of the VRM. I have contacted them for a warranty RMA.
To everyone complaining about throttling, it absolutely is the VRM temperature. Load up GPU-Z and you can see the temp of the VRM gets really high, then the card throttles. This is the exact problem that the first MSI 280x had in reviews where the card would throttle under load. MSI addressed the issue by releasing a firmware update that fixed the problem. Sapphire hasn't done so.
As for the reviewer complaining about oil (and then Sapphire denying it) . . . there ABSOLUTELY is oil everywhere. They used some really thin oil for the giant thermal pad that sits between the VRM and the VRM heatsink. This leaks oil when the VRM gets hot, which eventually decreases your thermal conductivity between the VRM and the VRM heatsink since the thermal pad dries out. My card is burnt out, and there is oil leaking from the thermal pad."
[END QUOTE]

Solution
Sep 4, 2019

[QUOTE/]
To everyone complaining about throttling, it absolutely is the VRM temperature. Load up GPU-Z and you can see the temp of the VRM gets really high, then the card throttles. This is the exact problem that the first MSI 280x had in reviews where the card would throttle under load. MSI addressed the issue by releasing a firmware update that fixed the problem. Sapphire hasn't done so.
As for the reviewer complaining about oil (and then Sapphire denying it) . . . there ABSOLUTELY is oil everywhere. They used some really thin oil for the giant thermal pad that sits between the VRM and the VRM heatsink. This leaks oil when the VRM gets hot, which eventually decreases your thermal conductivity between the VRM and the VRM heatsink since the thermal pad dries out. My card is burnt out, and there is oil leaking from the thermal pad."
[END QUOTE]
Removed me. I haven't seen any oil in my system yet. But, due to this, do you recommend me to definetly remove the gpu before trying something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No... unless you, or someone you know is capable of opening the card up and fixing Sapphire's 'little oopsie' - the now burnt out VRMs.
You are now short a graphics card.
Need someoneto be able to open the card up and see the extent of the damage... but it's probably a paperweight at this point, so I see no harm in opening it up and getting to familiarize yourself with some the workings of a gpu.