My PC randomly restarted!

Kirkus

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
Hi, I am stumped and worried.

I received a PC from a friend who got an upgrade, and it was in quite a foul shape. Turns out that all I needed to do was clean it (For the first time in 5 years) and it was smooth as a babies hindside. I also added a Nvidia GTX 9800 into the machine as for the entire 5 years of my friend having the PC, she ran it on the internal graphics which took a visual toll on every day scrolling on the interwebs. (Small glitches in the screen)

Later on in the year (2016) I decided to install Godmode on Steam, and playing it for 10 minutes on the lowest graphic settings would make my computer reboot. I have all of my PC's set to show an error message whenever something like this happens yet I never got one. So I just stopped playing the game in fear I was going to cause irreversible damage.

Today, I was in a Skype call with some friends and my PC did it again! I had nothing running in the background and the computer shut down, and rebooted. Gave me the option of safe mode and repair. So I tried the repair start to see if it can catch anything that's wrong with my machine, offered me a system restore so I did that, and now its fine.

I know it seems like a happy ending here but I want to know if any hardware is on its way out before I kill this poor thing.

Update: Was just listening to some music and scrolling through the internet and my PC crashed again. No error message, just a horrible buzz coming through my speakers. Really don't know what's up and I'd really like some ideas guys, any ideas?

If any of you have any idea what the issue may be, any ideas are welcome.

Solution
- Download and run the Unigine Heaven benchmark at max settings. See if it causes a crash while running. Give it up to a half hour. If Unigine consistently causes a crash their is likely a GPU problem.

- Run Windows Memory Diagnostic and check for memory errors. Just search for it in the Start Menu/Metro.

- Run Prime95 for an hour.

- Download and install HWMonitor so you can look at temps. Run Prime95 and Unigine Heaven for an hour while monitoring temps. See if temps get out of control and crashes.

Edit: Disconnect all unnecessary devices while testing.
- Download and run the Unigine Heaven benchmark at max settings. See if it causes a crash while running. Give it up to a half hour. If Unigine consistently causes a crash their is likely a GPU problem.

- Run Windows Memory Diagnostic and check for memory errors. Just search for it in the Start Menu/Metro.

- Run Prime95 for an hour.

- Download and install HWMonitor so you can look at temps. Run Prime95 and Unigine Heaven for an hour while monitoring temps. See if temps get out of control and crashes.

Edit: Disconnect all unnecessary devices while testing.

Solution