Question My PC randomly slows down and sometimes even crashes and I have no idea why.

Jan 29, 2023
Hey guys first time poster.

The last few MONTHS my computer will randomly slow down and drop huge frames, and will lag behind anything I click on. Takes awhile to load everything, not just random apps and stuff. I don't know why. I've taken it apart and cleaned it really well, and it actually seems to work okay for a little while. If I unplug it and reinstall the RAM sticks, SOMETIMES it'll be okay for a little while as well. Other times, not so much. All diagnostics check out normal, even now while it's misbehaving. CPU @ 1%, Memory @ 25% (16gbs of RAM), temps all normal. Here's the specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8X 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (8 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
Memory: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory [Free Upgrade to 16GB DDR4-3200 XPG D41 RGB]
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Case Lighting: None
Power Supply: 700 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Primary Storage: 1TB WD Blue SN550 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 2400MB/s; Write: 1950MB/s
Secondary Storage: None
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Oddly, I've tried installing two new RAM sticks worth 32GB and the same problems persist, sometimes even worse. What's up with that? I also have installed an additional 1TB SSD in the past. I've wracked my brain about this for a long time, and can't make sense of it. Trying my chance with you guys, hoping maybe you have some ideas? ahhhh

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Hey guys first time poster.

The last few MONTHS my computer will randomly slow down and drop huge frames, and will lag behind anything I click on. Takes awhile to load everything, not just random apps and stuff. I don't know why. I've taken it apart and cleaned it really well, and it actually seems to work okay for a little while. If I unplug it and reinstall the RAM sticks, SOMETIMES it'll be okay for a little while as well. Other times, not so much. All diagnostics check out normal, even now while it's misbehaving. CPU @ 1%, Memory @ 25% (16gbs of RAM), temps all normal. Here's the specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8X 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (8 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
Memory: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory [Free Upgrade to 16GB DDR4-3200 XPG D41 RGB]
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Case Lighting: None
Power Supply: 700 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Primary Storage: 1TB WD Blue SN550 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 2400MB/s; Write: 1950MB/s
Secondary Storage: None
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Oddly, I've tried installing two new RAM sticks worth 32GB and the same problems persist, sometimes even worse. What's up with that? I also have installed an additional 1TB SSD in the past. I've wracked my brain about this for a long time, and can't make sense of it. Trying my chance with you guys, hoping maybe you have some ideas? ahhhh

First off, how old is the computer? How well is it maintained? Do you take it out to the garage and blow out the video card and cpu cooler fins to make sure they're free of dust and debris? Have you removed the cpu cooler water block and re-applied thermal compound? Are you monitoring your temps?

Jan 29, 2023
First off, how old is the computer? How well is it maintained? Do you take it out to the garage and blow out the video card and cpu cooler fins to make sure they're free of dust and debris?

it's coming up to 2 years old. I blow it often, and right now it's squeaky clean because I just cleaned it out last night really good. I clean it out everytime I use it basically, because I always run into this problem

Jan 29, 2023
That's obviously no-load, but what about under the stress of gaming?

yeah but even at no load my computer has trouble loading things, kinda why it's such a head scratcher. Thanks for replying by the way. I"ll load up a game and see what the numbers look like.

Even now, my computer is really struggling to load up steam, let alone a game lol

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PSU not listed which is definitely concerning. Can you check what you have in there? Unless you specify a quality PSU upgrade, Cyberpower will throw in the cheapest thing with an impressive sounding 80 Plus rating they can find. These days they enjoy throwing in garbagey Apevias, but I don't remember if they were using those two years ago.