Question My PC randomly turns off

tjw4811

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I currently have a PC but I have a big issue. The issue is that my PC keeps shutting off randomly. But it is no ordinary shut off. First the Screen will go black out of nowhere, then all the fans in my PC will set themselves to 100%, then my RGB lights will reset to factory settings. It will sit like this forever unless I restart or shut off my PC. I do not know whether or not this is an issue with components or software. If you could help me I would highly appreciate it. I have a 650W PSU btw so I am not sure it is an issue with power.

Thanks

tjw4811

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Can you please list the entire specs of your system? Mobo, CPU, GPU, etc.?

Doesn't sound like a PSU thing because the fans ramp all the way up. I imagine you have the fans plugged into fan headers on the motherboard, correct?

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1070ti
16gb ram
1TB HDD
650W PSU
ARCTIC FREEZER COOLER
COOLERMASTER Q300P CASE
MSI TOMAHAWK B350 MOTHERBOARD

and yes my fans are plugged in correctly
I have used this system for 7 months now and havent expirenced this

and yes my fans are plugged in correctly
I have used this system for 7 months now and havent expirenced this

I wasn't insinuating the fans weren't plugged in correctly. I was pointing out one reason this wouldn't be a power supply issue.

Plugged into the motherboard, they change speed based on the motherboard. If they were plugged into a PSU, the PSU's voltage would dictate the fan speed. If the fans were plugged into a fan controller, we would look at the fan controller.

See? It helps to provide some information if you want help. We can't help if you just say "OMG! This happened! Help!"

So the fans: Are they DC or PWM?

And the MSI B350 board doesn't have RGB. IIRC, it doesn't have an RGB header either.

So what are these RGB lights, what controls them and how are they plugged in?

tjw4811

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't insinuating the fans weren't plugged in correctly. I was pointing out one reason this wouldn't be a power supply issue.

Plugged into the motherboard, they change speed based on the motherboard. If they were plugged into a PSU, the PSU's voltage would dictate the fan speed. If the fans were plugged into a fan controller, we would look at the fan controller.

See? It helps to provide some information if you want help. We can't help if you just say "OMG! This happened! Help!"

So the fans: Are they DC or PWM?

And the MSI B350 board doesn't have RGB. IIRC, it doesn't have an RGB header either.

So what are these RGB lights, what controls them and how are they plugged in?

I have external rgb strips connected directly to the PSU and my fans are connected directly to the motherboard. They are PWM fans