[SOLVED] My PC restart after playing for one hour

Feb 12, 2019
Hello
I would like your about a problem I have. My specs are
AMD a8 9600 with dedicated cooler
GTX 650
8 gb ram
PSU is Thermaltake Smart RGB 700w
So my problem is when am playing demanding games (ex Subnautica) my PC restats making me lose my progress. I thank in advance for your kind help

Solution
Since your temps are within reason, it's the PSU who is acting up.

While your PSU has enough wattage for your system, my guess is that due to PSU's low build quality, the voltage regulation is outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 64W GPU to run near or at max load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming.

Only fix is to buy a new, good quality PSU. I suggest getting any Seasonic unit, in 500W range.
Why 500W range and not 700W? Because your GPU is 64W and if you add the rest of the system at about 200W to it, total would be about 270W. 500W range PSU would be more than enough for your PC, even if you OC your CPU and/or...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
  1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
  2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up. Btw, your Tt Smart RGB series PSU, at best, is mediocre quality unit.

Feb 12, 2019
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
  1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
  2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.
First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up. Btw, your Tt Smart RGB series PSU, at best, is mediocre quality unit.
In idle this temp is 20-30 and under load is 40-60 but in the games that it restarts the GPU usage is 90-100% so I don't know what's wrong

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since your temps are within reason, it's the PSU who is acting up.

While your PSU has enough wattage for your system, my guess is that due to PSU's low build quality, the voltage regulation is outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 64W GPU to run near or at max load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming.

Only fix is to buy a new, good quality PSU. I suggest getting any Seasonic unit, in 500W range.
Why 500W range and not 700W? Because your GPU is 64W and if you add the rest of the system at about 200W to it, total would be about 270W. 500W range PSU would be more than enough for your PC, even if you OC your CPU and/or GPU.

That being said, look for e.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550, Focus 550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323,KmgzK8/

Warranty wise:
M12II EVO: 5 years
G-series: 5 years
Focus: 7 years
Focus+: 10 years

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Solution