sushiebar

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I suspect it might be my highly sensitive PSU, but i might be wrong.

As the title says, my PC restarts when I change certain things. For example:

1. Back in my old room, every time I turn on the lights, my PC would restart. I suspected the problem was with my room light, so I went to an electrician and he said it was because of a bad relay switch(?). Changed that and the problem was gone, it seemed. My PC still sometimes restarted itself when i turn on the lights, but not every single time as it did previously. I then suspected the problem might've been with my house's electricity, but my PC did not restart itself as frequently as it did, so I chose to ignore it.

2. So now I've moved to a different state for studies, and the problem now reappears. I have my PC hooked up to an extension socket, and if I turn on a free socket to power my room fan, for example, my PC restarts itself again.

Now my suspicion lies with my PSU. It's a CORSAIR RM750i and I'm not sure if it's relevant but it does have a persistent audible coil whine since the day I purchased it. I did look it up to see if it's faulty but it seems that the general consensus is that it is normal for some coil whine (?) to be present in a PSU? I don't know.

So I need some help with this, because I have yet to see this problem being posted online.

sushiebar

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Could be the PSU. But it could still be bad power.

What happens if the PC is plugged directly into the wall (instead of the extension cord) or into a surge suppressor?
Previously at my house with my room light issue I tested my PC by plugging directly into the wall, and once I turned on the lights it restarted.

Currently I'm at a different place in a different state. My PC did not restart itself when I turned on the lights in this house but it did just happen again when I plugged in my laptop adapter into my extension cord, or by simply switching the speed of my fan currently hooked up to the same extension socket. I do not have a surge suppressor.

I'm most definitely inclined to believe that my PSU is hyper-sensitve, as there are multiple PCs in this house and none of them seem to this restarting problem, or any problems at all really except for me.

Previously at my house with my room light issue I tested my PC by plugging directly into the wall, and once I turned on the lights it restarted.

Currently I'm at a different place in a different state. My PC did not restart itself when I turned on the lights in this house but it did just happen again when I plugged in my laptop adapter into my extension cord, or by simply switching the speed of my fan currently hooked up to the same extension socket. I do not have a surge suppressor.

I'm most definitely inclined to believe that my PSU is hyper-sensitve, as there are multiple PCs in this house and none of them seem to this restarting problem, or any problems at all really except for me.

I understand all this. You already stated all of this.

But here's the thing: You're plugging multiple things into a "extension socket" (not sure what that means) and we don't know anything about that "extension socket" or what kind of power it's rated at.

So surges of power to other sockets on the "extension socket" could be causing problems with the PSU.

Can you please clarify what an "extension socket" is?

sushiebar

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
For clarification, an 'extension socket' is an extension cord. It's just a term that we use here, locally.

Not sure what the power rating for the cord is, but it is from IKEA, if that helps. Currently the cord has my monitor, PC and my laptop adapter charging my laptop attached to it.

But to put things into perspective, like i said previously my house currently have multiple PCs. and some of the PCs are even daisy-chained to multiple other extension cords and they don't seem to have the same problem that I have. Mine is just connected to the extension cord, plugged into the wall.

It could definitely be power surges from other appliances affecting my PC. But why this particular problem is only affecting my PC is what i don't seem to understand.