[SOLVED] My PC restarts itself because of temperature

mag339

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020
I'm having this issue since i builded and started using it. Here is my components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: Asus Expedition GTX 1050TI
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 Mhz 16 CL
Motherboard: Gigabyte B350M Gaming 3
PSU: Coolermaster Masterwatt 650
Case: Aerocool Aero 800
SSD: Adata SU800 256 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid 240 Lite

My PC restarts itself when the temperature in room is hot. But when i check the temperatures of the components it's normal. It restarts itself 2-3 times (sometimes 5-6 when it's too hot) rapidly. After it opens i check the temperatures immediately everytime. I haven't come across any anormal temperature. My CPU is about 28-46°C (I've seen 46 max. after i started using watercooling system) and my GPU is about 50°C. Aren't these values normal?

I builded this PC on October 2017. In 2018 i changed my PSU from Aerocool VX500 to Coolermaster Masterwatt 650. Problem didn't go away. I added more fans to my case. Nothing changed. I'm using all 5 fan slots on case. I tried to change directons of fans. In current setup i'm using 2 intake fans in front, 2 outtake fans (with radiator) on top and 1 outtake fan in back.

About a moth ago a started using liquid cooling (before that i was using stock fan) and it looked like problem has solved but last week it started again when temperatures here got extremely hot. These are temperatures of components:
https://prnt.sc/1dbdxk2
https://prnt.sc/1dbe3am
I took these pictures under load while i was using the stock CPU cooler.

This is a picture i took from BIOS after my PC restarted itself:
https://prnt.sc/1dbeonp

I tried the LAN card automatically restart thing. I'm not doing overclock. But i tried it to see if anything changes. I'm using my GPU's fans with full throttle. I checked my RAMs with Windows Memory Check Tool or something. I checked my drives with HD tune. Temperatures are normal and computer restarts itself only if room is hot. But there is no overheating in components.

Why am i having this problem? How can i fix it? Please help me i'm desperate.

Also i'm very sorry if i made mistakes. English is not my main language.

Solution
Your CPU temps seem fine. I have a bit of concern about what BIOS reported chipset temp to be loading into BIOS.
I see another concerning thing about your memory usage peak on one of the screen shots...

If we are going to focus on temps....drop the side panel. Place a fan blowing directly inside that open panel and see if you have better results.
In spite of the seemingly good air flow with that number of fans, I suspect that the motherboard itself is getting to much heat and doing thermal shutdown.

A 1200 really shouldn't be taxing it that hard, but who knows if your ambient is already high to start with.

As a complete stab in the dark...I have a small form case where I had a HDD located right under the CPU cooler on the...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your CPU temps seem fine. I have a bit of concern about what BIOS reported chipset temp to be loading into BIOS.
I see another concerning thing about your memory usage peak on one of the screen shots...

If we are going to focus on temps....drop the side panel. Place a fan blowing directly inside that open panel and see if you have better results.
In spite of the seemingly good air flow with that number of fans, I suspect that the motherboard itself is getting to much heat and doing thermal shutdown.

A 1200 really shouldn't be taxing it that hard, but who knows if your ambient is already high to start with.

As a complete stab in the dark...I have a small form case where I had a HDD located right under the CPU cooler on the "basement" of the case. I had weird shut down issues and ended up resolving them when I removed the drive. It was SMOKING hot to the touch in that case, but is now working wonderfully in a fan cooled NAS unit.
The point of saying that isn't to speculate it is indeed your issue, but that you might have to consider out of the box solutions.

Is your PSU getting good airflow, it's fan running?
Is it possible that the fan setup you have now is actually pushing the system hot air out and through the power supply? (I had this issue in that same case as well)

Solution
what makes you believe it is temperature that is causing the issue(s)?
are you constantly monitoring them and noticing an exact limit a certain component reaches before restarting each time?

if your motherboard detects dangerous CPU temperatures(~100°C) for an extended amount of time it will not just restart, it will shutdown completely.

if your system temperatures are normal your ambient room temperature has nothing at all to do with your system having issues.
if anything it is just a coincidence.

you will have to troubleshoot each component to find the exact cause of the restarting.

mag339

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020

As a complete stab in the dark...I have a small form case where I had a HDD located right under the CPU cooler on the "basement" of the case. I had weird shut down issues and ended up resolving them when I removed the drive. It was SMOKING hot to the touch in that case, but is now working wonderfully in a fan cooled NAS unit.
The point of saying that isn't to speculate it is indeed your issue, but that you might have to consider out of the box solutions.

Is your PSU getting good airflow, it's fan running?
Is it possible that the fan setup you have now is actually pushing the system hot air out and through the power supply? (I had this issue in that same case as well)

In that picture my memory usage was high becasue i was playing GTA 5 when i took that picture.

Also when it becomes too hot and starts restarting, i use a 16" fan to cool my PC. With panels on i just put the fan in front of the case and make it work on full throttle. It actually helps. Makes me being able to play some online games with my friends without restarting over and over.

I've actually changed my PSU already but after you said that i checked it again PSU was hot. I can't say PSU gets good airflow but PSU fan is working. Now i put some books under the case and lifted it about 5 centimeters. Let's see if it changes. Also my SSD (Adata SU800) is working around 45-50°C. After this PSU test i mentioned, i'm going to change my SSD's place. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it a lot!

what makes you believe it is temperature that is causing the issue(s)?
are you constantly monitoring them and noticing an exact limit a certain component reaches before restarting each time?

if your motherboard detects dangerous CPU temperatures(~100°C) for an extended amount of time it will not just restart, it will shutdown completely.

if your system temperatures are normal your ambient room temperature has nothing at all to do with your system having issues.
if anything it is just a coincidence.

you will have to troubleshoot each component to find the exact cause of the restarting.

Like i said, it only happens if the room is hot and it goes away if i put a fan in front of the case. I don't believe it's a coincidence. But thank you for your suggestions.

Like i said, it only happens if the room is hot and it goes away if i put a fan in front of the case.
this wouldn't make sense because the air the fan would be blowing would be the same ambient temperature as the room.
if it is this ambient room temp being high that is causing anything than this wouldn't solve it.

if your PSU is getting too hot, make sure it is positioned correctly pulling in cooler air from underneath and exhausting through the back.
not pulling in air from inside the case.

your CPU & GPU are not going to throttle or shutdown at the temperatures you are reporting.
so if it is heat-related than you will have to determine which component is malfunctioning and\or overheating too easily.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
this wouldn't make sense because the air the fan would be blowing would be the same ambient temperature as the room.
if it is this ambient room temp being high that is causing anything than this wouldn't solve it.

if your PSU is getting too hot, make sure it is positioned correctly pulling in cooler air from underneath and exhausting through the back.
not pulling in air from inside the case.

your CPU & GPU are not going to throttle or shutdown at the temperatures you are reporting.
so if it is heat-related than you will have to determine which component is malfunctioning and\or overheating too easily.

John, I am not sure it has to do directly with the CPU or GPU. My thoughts lie with the motherboard power delivery and/or the PSU getting too hot.
In any case you should be seeing roughly 15-20* (or so) above ambient. Then gaming on top of that. Then consider that instead of a downdraft CPU fan (which may already have been taxed too much) the OP added a water cooler which completely eliminates that direct VRM cooling. Everything else is just blowing around in the case not particularly 'on' the VRM area.
This is why I suggested dropping a side panel and blowing a fan in there. If the issue resolves it's definitely temps 'somewhere'.

mag339

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020
John, I am not sure it has to do directly with the CPU or GPU. My thoughts lie with the motherboard power delivery and/or the PSU getting too hot.
In any case you should be seeing roughly 15-20* (or so) above ambient. Then gaming on top of that. Then consider that instead of a downdraft CPU fan (which may already have been taxed too much) the OP added a water cooler which completely eliminates that direct VRM cooling. Everything else is just blowing around in the case not particularly 'on' the VRM area.
This is why I suggested dropping a side panel and blowing a fan in there. If the issue resolves it's definitely temps 'somewhere'.

Lifting the case didn't work. I can barely feel PSU fan but i can tell it's hot. It has a semi fanless design or something.

Also i moved my SSD to another place and didn't work.

Now i will drop a panel and put my fan in front of it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Edit after 1 hour:

PC didn't restart with this setup. Here are the temperatures:

This one just after another restart. Fan was blowing but wasn't from the side.
https://prnt.sc/1dzez4h

This one with the new setup. Just after i closed the game.
https://prnt.sc/1dzflkj

@punkncat I can play with the side panel off but it's not comfortable. Can you say where is the problem?

Would recommend to continue testing for a moment. If this keeps the problem away you may have to consider case change, fan setup differently, etc. I am rather surprised looking at the stock photo of your Aerocool case, as it appears to have a mesh front, top, and well vented back.

You might consider "rigging up" a fan inside the case that blows directly onto your motherboard VRM?
If it has dust filters inside the vents perhaps remove them and test?

Where is this PC located, like on the floor or stand beside desk, not inside any enclosure/cabinet, correct?

TRENDING THREADS