May 17, 2020
Hello Tom's Hardware!

First off all i want to thx for this site and those who supports it. It helps a lot people like me who tries to find the solution for some problems. This is my first thread here.

Okay, so i have a homebuilt PC, I built it 2 months ago. All parts are new except for the PSU i took from my brother's PC (it will complete 5 years of use next month). Everything was running just fine and i could play games for 12+ hours without any problems. But 2 weeks ago it started to restart by itself randomly only when gaming and without any warning.

It is pretty strange for me 'cause this happens in specifically games. For example, i can play Dragon Age Inquisition, Hunt Showdown, GTA V and others for 9+ hours and nothing happens. But when i play Conan Exiles, The Witcher 3, Rust and Monster Hunter World the PC restarts by itself with no apparent reason.

I don't get BSOD. It looks like a power cut and switchs back on after 2-4 seconds. The funny thing is the restart occurs always different gameplay time. Sometimes after 5 min, sometimes after 30, sometimes after 1+ hr.

I did downloaded some benchmark programs (FurMark, Valley and Heaven Benchmark, 3DMark Time of Spy, Prime95 and OCCT) and same thing. Some benchmark tests (FurMark + Prime 95, 3DMark, Valley) run for 1+ hour and no restart but others (Heaven and OCCT) restart occurs and like i said with different times of benchmark. I have no problems while doing other things on PC (idling/non-gaming).

I doubt this is about overheating. Everytime it restarts (during stress tests and benchmark) CPU temp is around 55 °C and GPU ~ 62 °C.

My PC specs:
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE H110M-H-CF DDR4
  • CPU Intel i5-7600K
  • Water Cooler CORSAIR Hydro H100i RGB Platinum
  • GPU GALAX GTX 1660 1-Click OC
  • RAM 2 x Adata XPG Spectrix D41 TUF RGB 8GB 3000MHz (16 GB)
  • PSU CORSAIR CX-750W 80 Plus Bronze
  • Case CORSAIR Crystal Series 280X RGB + Lighting Node Pro and RGB Fan Hub
  • 2 Case Fans LL120 RGB Pro connected to Electop Chassis Fan Hub 10 Port.
  • Storage (1) 1 x SSD Kingston A400 240GB
  • Storage (2) 1 x HD WD SATA 3,5´ Blue PC 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
  • OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

So far i have tried:
  • Unistalling all case fans and deactivating RGB lights to save power for the PSU
  • Reinstalling graphics card driver (Game Ready Driver v. 445.87)
  • Disabled Automatic Restart on System Failure
  • Disabled XMP profiles for RAM and switched to Enhanced Stability
  • Disabled Integrated Onboard Gaphics Card

No success so far :(

It's really frustrating to play any game and knowing PC will restart at any time. Please help.

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D
do you have a PSU you could swap out for testing? during gaming the CPU the GPU or BOTH will all be at max and drawing maximum power.
swap out the PSU, fire up a game and you'll have an answer about the PSU in a few minutes.
I have some remarks about random reboots prepared, it might be helpful
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D
do you have a PSU you could swap out for testing? during gaming the CPU the GPU or BOTH will all be at max and drawing maximum power.
swap out the PSU, fire up a game and you'll have an answer about the PSU in a few minutes.
I have some remarks about random reboots prepared, it might be helpful
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Solution