Question My pc run slower and games too after updating my processor

Jun 21, 2021
I just updated my pc with a Ryzen 5 3600 with 6 cores, I had Ryzen 5 2600 with 6 cores and my motherboard is Gigabyte A320M-S2H ver1 with a graphics card GTX 1660 OC of 6GB

the thing is that my pc takes at least 2 to 3 minutes to start now and while after logging it's barely noticeable if I start a game that it looks awful the fps drop horribly and can't play while before the upgrade didn't had the problem.

I played video games like Apex legends, Doom eternal REvillage on mid settings totally fine before.

Jun 21, 2021
What Bios version ?
For the moment I have the most updated version of BIOS the F53...

I just made a quick check and it looks like it performs a little better but I still have a few small fps drops, I would have to keep testing but is not as horrible as before.

Jun 21, 2021
And latest chipset drivers from AMD ?
I had only windows default version, I installed the AMD chipset software installer and I see great improvements, didn't knew they were that important (as I didn't have the need to install them before).

Thank you

Last edited:

JWNoctis

Upstanding
Jun 9, 2021
Just in case: Run HWMONITOR and check processor and GPU load and temperature with and without games running. Run HWiNFO and check for discrepancies in I/O bandwidth.

Please tell us what you see.

Redneck5439

Honorable
Aug 21, 2015
Anytime you upgrade your processor you should always clear your CMOS (should be done before installation of your new processor), update your bios, do a clean install of Windows and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD. I have been guilty myself of not doing all these steps when upgrading the processor (doing a clean install of Windows always sucks) but it is the best method to get the best performance out of your new processor and avoid any software conflicts because somewhere deep in your system Windows thinks you should be running 2600.

I believe all these suggestions were already made, but really all these things should be done when upgrading your processor.

Jun 21, 2021
Anytime you upgrade your processor you should always clear your CMOS (should be done before installation of your new processor), update your bios, do a clean install of Windows and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD. I have been guilty myself of not doing all these steps when upgrading the processor (doing a clean install of Windows always sucks) but it is the best method to get the best performance out of your new processor and avoid any software conflicts because somewhere deep in your system Windows thinks you should be running 2600.

I believe all these suggestions were already made, but really all these things should be done when upgrading your processor.
Okay, you are right, I will do a clean install just to be sure, I haven't been having more problems but it's better to be safe and regret it later.

thank you

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS