Question My PC running games is really slow and I can't figure out why.

May 18, 2019
Hi all. So, I need help. My PC, built around a year or two ago, first ran games perfectly fine, no issues at all, but recently, its gotten really slow and laggy, even on the lowest settings, and I cant figure out why.

My Specs are as follows -
CPU - i5 4670k
Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
GPU - Asus RX 480 8gb DUAL OC
RAM - 8gb G.Skill DDR3 2333Mhz
Motherboard - MSI z97m Gaming
PSU - Cooler Master vs550
Storage - 1tb 7200rpm HDD and 128gb SSD

I have no clue whats causing this, temperatures for all components are fine, the CPU has never been overclocked and just had new thermal paste, everything has up to date drivers, nothing is clogging up the CPU in task manager, but games just run slow.
I used to have an r9 290 with a reference cooler and had the intel stock heatsink instead of the cooler master one I have now, and games ran better then.
I can't even play Minecraft or Team Fortress 2 on lowest without suffering huge lag spikes and awful loading times and really low frames (10 to 20)

Help please?

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Maybe change OS? I had windows 10 first and I ran rocket league on max settings with 130 fps, now that I went to windows 7 I have 200 fps, Basically all games work so much better. So yeah maybe something is wrong with the OS

Changing OS seems a bit extreme when not knowing what the cause of the issue is.

Are the clockspeeds the components are supposed to be capable of being reached?

Would suggest using MSI Afterburner and monitor CPU (all core/threads), GPU and RAM frequencies and usages; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frametimes; and page file. Allow it to run and log the results while gaming. With some luck it may lead us to a possible cause and hopefully a solution.

May 18, 2019
Changing OS seems a bit extreme when not knowing what the cause of the issue is.

Are the clockspeeds the components are supposed to be capable of being reached?

Would suggest using MSI Afterburner and monitor CPU (all core/threads), GPU and RAM frequencies and usages; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frametimes; and page file. Allow it to run and log the results while gaming. With some luck it may lead us to a possible cause and hopefully a solution.

Ok, I'll try that, thanks! I'll update with results

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Kind of a long sit,but the bottom line is if i watched well,that you use the upgrade tool to see if your pc is good for W10 and from there thry an install of it. After that should you have W10. Make sure to back up all data you want to keep.

Upgrade to Windows 10 - FREE! I'll show you how! - YouTube

should still give W10 according to him.

You did look at temps with the new cooler?

Last edited: