[SOLVED] My pc says the usb device over current status detected system shutdown in 15 sec. but i can't seem to fix it

Dec 11, 2020
Problem
after I turned on my pc I was shown the message that ''your device will shut down in 15 seconds because a USB device over current status was detected'' and I then went and searched how to fix this error. I then found a guide that said something was wrong with my USB. then I unplugged my front panel USB and checked the mobo USB for anything unusual. I found nothing and was like then what's wrong.
Question
What is wrong with my pc and why don't I see any of the things that should be damaged to give me this notification.
Specs
Asus h81m-c mobo
I5-4460 Intel processor
Asus GTX 1060 3G
550-watt power supply
Asus Cooler master case (5-7 years old)
16G ram
1T disk

Solution
you didn't say if you have any usb devices plugged in? if you do there are many things that pull too much voltage/current to be powered by the pc (original usb was 5v .5A unless you have usb high power and I'm not even sure those are a thing anymore one of my recent boards had those it was intended to charge devices and was always powered even if the machine was off, the ones on my old board were red inside). Many devices are not bus powered anymore tech grew past that except for things like mice n keyboards, that's why they have their own power adapters. Make sure anything that came with its own adapter is plugged in etc. If you have nothing plugged into any of your usb ports (including mice, headset, joysticks etc.) then I'd start...

itsallpoo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
you didn't say if you have any usb devices plugged in? if you do there are many things that pull too much voltage/current to be powered by the pc (original usb was 5v .5A unless you have usb high power and I'm not even sure those are a thing anymore one of my recent boards had those it was intended to charge devices and was always powered even if the machine was off, the ones on my old board were red inside). Many devices are not bus powered anymore tech grew past that except for things like mice n keyboards, that's why they have their own power adapters. Make sure anything that came with its own adapter is plugged in etc. If you have nothing plugged into any of your usb ports (including mice, headset, joysticks etc.) then I'd start hunting down chipset drivers and even possibly bios updates. Windows 10 pushed out a bunch of feature updates in the last weeks something could have created a problem, M$ is famous for breaking stuff in updates. That message means your motherboard thinks something is sucking a lot of current on your usb buss so start by checking anything you have plugged in, the device could have developed an issue (or the power supply took a dump) if you've installed a bunch of updates or drivers recently a good old registry clean by something like ccleaner might be worth a try and it's free. I guess if it was me just for giggles I'd test my power supply too, there are different rails coming out of the power supply that supply different voltages mainly 5v and 12v. If you live someplace high humidity a nice big can of CRC should be a staple in your tool box. Last thought, sometimes usb drivers just get messed up somehow, if you take a device off the usb plug it is connected to and put it on another one that will force all the drivers to be reloaded fixes a lot of little issues in my experience.

Reactions: xenthia
Solution