[SOLVED] My PC Seems to Shut Down Under GPU Load, Can You Please Help Me?

Aug 15, 2021
So I've been experiencing this issue for about 2 months. Whenever my pc goes under heavy load (benchmarking, gaming, stress testing) it shuts itself down but the cpu and case fans are continues to spin. When this happens, the motherboard and the disk usage lights are turning off. At first it was occuring after like 3-5 hours of gameplay and later it started to happen sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 30 minutes, and sometimes even after just 5 minutes. I used aida64 for stress testing and I stress tested everything but gpu at once and it was okay for about 10 minutes, nothing happened. Then I tried to test everything but the gpu, this time individually and that was fine aswell. But whenever I tried to stress test the gpu alone or with other components I experienced this issue. Oh btw the thermals are great even in heavy load my gpu doesn't go beyond 78C and my cpu is at about 65C to 70C. I'm suspecting of my 3 years old no-good psu but can't be really sure about it. I'd be glad if you guys can help, thank you.

SYSTEM INFO:
MOBO: GIGABYTE B450M S2H
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3 3100
GPU: MSI RADEON RX 570 ARMOR 4G
RAM: CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR4 3000MHz CL15 (2X8)
PSU: XIGMATEK TAURO 80PLUS BRONZE 500W

Solution

I definitely suspect this PSU as well to be the culprit behind this issue. I wouldn't use or trust this brand's PSU to power up any gaming PC. You should grab a high quality PSU, since PSU is the MOST important component of any system. I can't stress this enough.

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. These are some good and high quality units. Look for similar SKUs. This list is not exhaustive though. There are more models and brands as well.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR...

I definitely suspect this PSU as well to be the culprit behind this issue. I wouldn't use or trust this brand's PSU to power up any gaming PC. You should grab a high quality PSU, since PSU is the MOST important component of any system. I can't stress this enough.

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. These are some good and high quality units. Look for similar SKUs. This list is not exhaustive though. There are more models and brands as well.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

Last edited:
Reactions: Headbang
Solution
Aug 15, 2021
I wouldn't use or trust this brand's PSU to power up any gaming PC.
Yeah I wouldn't too you're right about that. But since I wasn't have a credit card for online shopping back then I ended up going in a store and buying the only psu they had.

You should grab a high quality PSU
And about that I would love to have a high quality PSU but since I'm living in Turkey and being a university student I'm on a bit of a budget. For example Corsair RM650x costs about 2 months of my student scholarship so... The best option I have seems to be the Corsair CX550F what would you think about that?

he best option I have seems to be the Corsair CX550F what would you think about that?

This one from Corsair is an "okay-ish" PSU model, at least better than what you have now. But still not the very best of power supplies, but it should power up the RX 570 GPU and your system fine. At least we can trust Corsair brand.

But should you plan to upgrade your GPU/CPU or any other component in near future, then grab an even better high quality unit, if it suits your budget that is..

Aug 15, 2021
This one from Corsair is an "okay-ish" PSU model, at least better than what you have now.
So we're almost sure that it's the PSU that makes the problem right? Because I know that it's a really bad PSU but it seems a bit weird that it only acts like that when the GPU is under load, and isn't it odd that the cpu and case fans continues to spin even when the system shuts down? Oh and I forgot to add but the power light in the cases front module doesn't go off when the shutdown happens.

But should you plan to upgrade your GPU/CPU or any other component in near future, then grab an even better high quality unit, if it suits your budget that is..
I'm definitely going to upgrade my PSU after I graduate (in 2-3 years at most), thank you very much for the suggestions.

Nope, I didn't say that I'm 100% sure that the PSU is the culprit here, but from the description of your current problem that the system shuts down under heavy load and stress, points out to be a power supply issue. Btw, just check all the connections inside your PC as well, including the Motherboard, just in case some component is not seated properly.

But I still suspect the PSU to be at fault here.

Aug 15, 2021
Btw, just check all the connections inside your PC as well
Unfortunately, I already checked them yesterday but everything was looking fine.
Yeah I too think that it is most likely the cause of the problem. I might change the PSU in a couple of days and then try putting the pc through a stress test to see if it still fails. I'll post the result in here, thanks for the help man.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Aug 15, 2021
So as I said I would, I bought a Corsair CX550F. It got delivered today and before installing it I decided to clean my pc and there was a lot and like a LOT of dust accumulation on my pc's bottom filter, right where my psu's fan sits at. It seems like I always missed that spot when I'm cleaning my pc. So I don't know if that was the issue but since I already needed to change my PSU I didn't bother checking it and continued installing the CX550F. When I'm done I started AIDA64's stress test for about 30 minutes and it all went perfect. Since I stress tested with my old PSU right before installing the new one and it only went for 4 seconds before shutting down the system I guess we can safely say that PSU was the component that was causing this issue. So the lesson of the story is ''Don't buy bad PSU's kids'' lol. Also thank you very much for your help bro.

If anyone having this same issue ever see this thread and wanting to ask some things I would be glad to help.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
So as I said I would, I bought a Corsair CX550F. It got delivered today and before installing it I decided to clean my pc and there was a lot and like a LOT of dust accumulation on my pc's bottom filter, right where my psu's fan sits at. It seems like I always missed that spot when I'm cleaning my pc. So I don't know if that was the issue but since I already needed to change my PSU I didn't bother checking it and continued installing the CX550F. When I'm done I started AIDA64's stress test for about 30 minutes and it all went perfect. Since I stress tested with my old PSU right before installing the new one and it only went for 4 seconds before shutting down the system I guess we can safely say that PSU was the component that was causing this issue. So the lesson of the story is ''Don't buy bad PSU's kids'' lol. Also thank you very much for your help bro.

If anyone having this same issue ever see this thread and wanting to ask some things I would be glad to help.

This is probably the first piece of advice anyone on here would give with a system, a bad quality power supply is just a risk of early failure, crashing and even breaking other components. Quite a few times some $40 power supply failed and took out a $400 video card or $200 motherboard. This issues comes up on the forums daily, it seems people only research things after something breaks not before building the computer LOL

The funny part is that people that can't spend a lot of money on computer parts should be the first ones to buy a higher quality power supply since they won't be able to buy replacements if the PSU kills other components, and will just end up paying twice for a power supply, the one that failed and the new one.

Aug 15, 2021
The funny part is that people that can't spend a lot of money on computer parts should be the first ones to buy a higher quality power supply since they won't be able to buy replacements if the PSU kills other components, and will just end up paying twice for a power supply, the one that failed and the new one.
Yeah you're right about that, sometimes people are getting eager to fastly and cheaply finish their builds and start playing some games (myself included) and since the PSU seems like it wouldn't affect the performance directly a lot of people might tend to overlook its importance (again myself included). But in reality, it doesn't feel like it's not affecting the performance when you couldn't use your computer properly for a week lol.