[SOLVED] My PC shocks me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
Hey, since a few days and after an pc case upgrade i noticed that my pc shocks me when I touch a specific screw under the case, I thought it was my powersupply giving up on me so I replaced it from a corsair VS550 to a Seasonic GM 650. But a moment ago I touched the bottom again and got shocked again. is there a different source where this shock might come from?

Solution
Hi Yeah my cable management is not the best but there arent lose cabels anywhere, but what are the things I should be aware of with cable mangement?
Well cable management takes a few turns and twist's to reach it plug in point...maybe that twist and turns could make an lose connection on the power point itself(I may be wrong)
but what i have experienced ones is there was a lose connection on one of the power points like (The main power point that connects to the motherboard).
Maybe your motherboard has an bad connection somewhere on one of the power plugins on the mobo remember that the motherboard is connected to the casing and maybe thats where the shock comes from...(First the bad connection that makes the hole casing live...
The Power supply, unless damaged somehow is compeltely electrically insulated from the case so it cant be that. Still a good upgrade off that VS though.

What case did you upgrade to?

How bad is the shock? If it's an actual electrical shock you would know it, otherwise its very possible its just static build up, if your case is on carpet then that could be the culprit.

And which screw shocks you?

Bassplate

Reputable
Hey, since a few days and after an pc case upgrade i noticed that my pc shocks me when I touch a specific screw under the case, I thought it was my powersupply giving up on me so I replaced it from a corsair VS550 to a Seasonic GM 650. But a moment ago I touched the bottom again and got shocked again. is there a different source where this shock might come from?
Well first of did you check your cable management of your computer?
Is the motherboard connected perfectly into the case?
Maybe replace the power cable itself or use a different powerplug...
What case do you have and where is that screw located on your case?

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
The Power supply, unless damaged somehow is compeltely electrically insulated from the case so it cant be that. Still a good upgrade off that VS though.

What case did you upgrade to?

How bad is the shock? If it's an actual electrical shock you would know it, otherwise its very possible its just static build up, if your case is on carpet then that could be the culprit.

And which screw shocks you?
Hello I recently bought a NZXT h510i case which I very much love btw, some more info here: the screw I touch is connected to the harddrive bay, my pc is not resting on carpet but on a wooden table and the schock I feel is not a painful shock but still one that worries me ofcouse

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
Well first of did you check your cable management of your computer?
Is the motherboard connected perfectly into the case?
Maybe replace the power cable itself or use a different powerplug...
What case do you have and where is that screw located on your case?
Hi Yeah my cable management is not the best but there arent lose cabels anywhere, but what are the things I should be aware of with cable mangement?

Reactions: Bassplate

Bassplate

Reputable
Well cable management takes a few turns and twist's to reach it plug in point...maybe that twist and turns could make an lose connection on the power point itself(I may be wrong)
but what i have experienced ones is there was a lose connection on one of the power points like (The main power point that connects to the motherboard).
Maybe your motherboard has an bad connection somewhere on one of the power plugins on the mobo remember that the motherboard is connected to the casing and maybe thats where the shock comes from...(First the bad connection that makes the hole casing live throe the motherboards mountings) You get me?
But i may be wrong...Maybe get an tester to test electricity and test that area where the shock is and see if there are any live connection there...Its just an another thing you can try. :benetton:

Solution

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
Maybe your motherboard has an bad connection somewhere on one of the power plugins on the mobo remember that the motherboard is connected to the casing and maybe thats where the shock comes from...(First the bad connection that makes the hole casing live throe the motherboards mountings) You get me?
But i may be wrong...Maybe get an tester to test electricity and test that area where the shock is and see if there are any live connection there...Its just an another thing you can try. :benetton:
Okay, wtf. I think ive figured it out but I dont understand how this works. Somehow when I touch my pc and my heating radiator at the same time I will get shocked, even when my pc is off I get shocked. and a little bit when it is even not plugged in. How is this possible? And does this mean the problem is not with my pc but with something else?

Bassplate

Reputable
Okay, wtf. I think ive figured it out but I dont understand how this works. Somehow when I touch my pc and my heating radiator at the same time I will get shocked, even when my pc is off I get shocked. and a little bit when it is even not plugged in. How is this possible? And does this mean the problem is not with my pc but with something else?
This is truly strange honestly!! :unsure::unsure::unsure:
Sounds like an possessed PC or something!!No just kidding:ROFLMAO:
Do you have an other computer casing where you can rebuild your Electric computer juts to see if it still shocks you?I'm blown away right now cant really think what it could be!

Jesse_E

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
This is truly strange honestly!! :unsure::unsure::unsure:
Sounds like an possessed PC or something!!No just kidding:ROFLMAO:
Do you have an other computer casing where you can rebuild your Electric computer juts to see if it still shocks you?I'm blown away right now cant really think what it could be!
Done and done, and yes I still get shocked... A little less than with my NZXT case but that case if fully metal. Im honestly mind blown and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.