[SOLVED] My PC shut down suddenly and the CPU is now dead, potential causes?

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Long story short my PC was turned on downloading warzone overnight (so under no load with ONLY call of duty launcher open) and i heard it shut off suddenly by itself in the morning. I was presented with multiple BSOD and it wouldn't boot.

After a full day of comprehensive troubleshooting (RAM, BIOS firmware/reset, PSU swap) it came down to the CPU as I put a friends chip into my motherboard and my PC launched first time with no errors. Tried reseating my i7-8700K again and it failed again with the same BSOD loop of errors.

Can a CPU just fail suddenly and shut off a PC? If my motherboard or PSU caused this to fail why did it work with my friends CPU with zero problems for over an hour testing.

Thank you
Regards
Seamus

SPECS:
Intel i7-8700K
NZXT Kraken x52 240mm CPU Water Cooler
ASRock Z370 Extreme4 MotherBoard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200MHz Ram (4x8)
BeQuiet! 600W Straight Power 10 PSU 80+ Gold
Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB

Last edited:
Solution
Unfortunately, the main way to diagnose pc failures is by swapping with known good replacements.
In your case, it would seem that the i7-8700K is truly defective.
Intel processor failures are rare.

Possibly, the failure was caused by excessive voltage set to get to 4.7.
If you used voltage set to auto and simply raised the multiplier, you should have been ok.
The processor has a 3 year warranty.
If you can document when it was purchased, you might be able to get a Replacement from Intel.
If you do not have such documentation, the batch number etched on the chip will tell when it was manufactured, and the purchase date will be 90 days later.
Unfortunately, the main way to diagnose pc failures is by swapping with known good replacements.
In your case, it would seem that the i7-8700K is truly defective.
Intel processor failures are rare.

Possibly, the failure was caused by excessive voltage set to get to 4.7.
If you used voltage set to auto and simply raised the multiplier, you should have been ok.
The processor has a 3 year warranty.
If you can document when it was purchased, you might be able to get a Replacement from Intel.
If you do not have such documentation, the batch number etched on the chip will tell when it was manufactured, and the purchase date will be 90 days later.

Solution