[SOLVED] My PC shuts down after exiting a game.

Feb 18, 2020
Hi all,
I have this issue for 2 years now, after I exit a game (especially higher graphics one), the PC in some cases immediately shuts down (with windows exit screen).
This issue started 2 years ago. I had almost the same PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM).
  1. Thermaltake 700W PSU started doing this symptome after a few months.
  2. Corsair CX 550 (purchased as used), it was working for lik 3-4 months and then started the same
  3. Chieftec 650W was working for 6-7 months and then started this too.
  4. Now a Corsair, bought in 2019 March or so, started the same last week (CX-650)

This occurs mostly after exiting Diablo 3 or Kingdom come deliverance. Once it shut down the PC during the game also, not after exiting, but generally it does after exiting.

System: older ASUS MB, AMD FX8320, 24GB (2x4 and 2x8) RAM, RX 470, 2x HDD, 1x SSD
Windows 8.1, Im using Chrome browser.

Any idea? seems that something is slowly killing my PSU's in the background. Unless its a software issue, but then why all the PSUs work properly for a few months and starts this issue only later?
Any advice is more than welcome.

Solution
I would wonder about the internal case airflows.

All goes well until you stop gaming and some fan or fans slow prematurely. Heat builds up and then something shutsdown.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the shutdowns.

Look in the case - may need cleaning to remove dust and debris. Dust is like a heat blanket...

Reseat all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc.. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Lastly - re-evaluate the PSU wattage. If the system demand is close to or above the PSU wattage then that in itself if problematic.

Ralston18

Titan
I would wonder about the internal case airflows.

All goes well until you stop gaming and some fan or fans slow prematurely. Heat builds up and then something shutsdown.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the shutdowns.

Look in the case - may need cleaning to remove dust and debris. Dust is like a heat blanket...

Reseat all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc.. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Lastly - re-evaluate the PSU wattage. If the system demand is close to or above the PSU wattage then that in itself if problematic.

Solution
Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for your points!
Actually I would close out the wattage as the current PSU is 650W Corsair CX, and it should easily manage my system (FX 8320 + RX 470 + 24GB RAM + 1 SSD + 3 HDD's). All the previous PSUs were the same in terms of wattage.
I have checked the error codes but there is nothing at all, as my PC is shut down properly (with windows exit screen etc). It turned off "unexpectedly" only once, during a game but there was nothing in the history except something like "user initiated a shut down" (sorry if the translation is wrong from hungarian windows).
I will however try your other points (reseating the cables, removing dust).