My pc slept for ever?

Salman_27

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Hi
Was playing witcher 3, decided to take a break, exit the game, go power options, put my pc to sleep
Now im trying to boot it up, it doesnt work, i mean as if there is no electricity but i made sure its connected.

Help please

Solution

Salman_27

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I did it, unplugged it from the wall, then plugged it in instantly, didint work.
Unplugged it again 10 mins ago, boom it works now.
Can someone explain what is happening?

*Note: interesting that it booted from where i left, means not a fresh boot, wtf ?

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
plugging it back in immediately didn't cut off the power, the power supply uses capacitors that need to empty, unplugging it and immediately plugging it back in doesn't allow time for discharge.

What are the complete system specifications?

If you are using an Intel build and it is a Haswell or later processor you could run into a system that won't wake up from sleep mode if the power supply unit is unable to handle Intel's low power C6/C7 sleep states.

If the power supply unit is incompatible with Intel's C6/C7 low power sleep states (i.e. usually happens with old group regulated circuit design) then one or more of the output rails will go out of spec and trigger one of the power supply's protection circuits.

Turning off the power supply's AC power switch for around fifteen seconds or more will reset the power supply's protection circuits.

Salman_27

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Specs:
i5 6600k
XFX RADEON RX 480 8GB
XFX TS 550w Full Wired 80+ Bronze Power Supply
8g ram

The i5-6600K is Skylake so it is later than Haswell.

The XFX TS 550W power supply definitely uses a group regulated circuit design.

Try setting the CPU power saving C-State support for both C6 and C7 in the motherboard's BIOS setup to Disabled.

Solution