[SOLVED] My PC sometimes freezes randomly and my peripherals lose power and monitors lose signal. What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2019
Hi, I'm fairly new to PCs having built my first only a few months ago. I have been having an issue where sometimes the PC completely freezes and I can't do anything. My displays lose signal and my peripheral RGB lights turn off. My fans start going wierd too where they keep going faster then slower. I have to manually power off the PC with the power button then restart it. Not too sure what the issue is... Would say it was a graphics card issue but why would the mouse and keyboard lights turn off too..? Must mean its motherboard related or power. If anyone has any advice or tips on troubleshooting or might know what the issue is, please let me know. My specs are:
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
-AMD Rx Vega 56
-16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3000
-Gigabyte b450m
Cheers, Luke
(wasn't too sure which forum thread to post it on but oh well)

Solution
-I have the corsair vs650 80+ psu
Corsairs lowest tier PSU, and is not really made for higher load gaming systems. As it's their poorest model thus why it's their cheapest too. So this can't be eliminated from the possibilities.

-I don't have any spare parts
It may become difficult to diagnose a potential hardware problem without some spare parts, the tests we can do are limited, but hopefully we can see if it is a software problem.

-I thought that it was only freezing during gaming however it once happened when watching netflix. Completely random though.
-My GPU temp was around 40 degrees C when it happened when I was watching netflix. Normally gets up to around 70 when gaming. Not sure how to see CPU temp but...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your PSU make and model?
Do you have any spare parts that you could borrow to test?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Is there any pattern to when the freezes occur? Is it only in games e.g. ?
Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps under load?
Do you have latest drivers installed? (Including MB/Chipset - NOT using a driver updater app)

Reactions: Luke O
Nov 13, 2019
Thanks for your quick reply.
-I think I have latest bios installed (will check that though)
-I thought that it was only freezing during gaming however it once happened when watching netflix. Completely random though.
-My GPU temp was around 40 degrees C when it happened when I was watching netflix. Normally gets up to around 70 when gaming. Not sure how to see CPU temp but will try to find it.
-I have latest GPU drivers installed and believe that I have latest motherboard drivers too.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Corsairs lowest tier PSU, and is not really made for higher load gaming systems. As it's their poorest model thus why it's their cheapest too. So this can't be eliminated from the possibilities.

It may become difficult to diagnose a potential hardware problem without some spare parts, the tests we can do are limited, but hopefully we can see if it is a software problem.

-My GPU temp was around 40 degrees C when it happened when I was watching netflix. Normally gets up to around 70 when gaming. Not sure how to see CPU temp but will try to find it.
If it's only happening under load, it could be leaning towards a GPU/PSU issue also, but it varies. I would see what MAX temps you reach to see if there is any issue there. If it doesn't go above 70, then it's not overheating.

Reactions: Luke O
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.