Question My PC sometimes powers on and sometimes don't

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
My PC sometimes turns on but sometimes doesn't, I got a new PSU and my motherboard is less that 1 year old.

I tried the screwdriver trick to turn it on and sometimes it doesn't turn on and sometime it does.

My power switch and reset switch works

​

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600

Motherboard: Asrock B450 PRO4

Ram: 2X4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz CL15 and 2X4GB G.Skil Ripjaw 2666mhz CL 15

GPU: AMD RX590

PSU: EVGA 650 GD 650W 80+ Gold Power supply

And for some reason when the PC does turn on the date and time is always incorrect

Make sure the CMOS battery is not installed upside down, and perhaps try a new CMOS battery. Sometimes even on a fairly new board it can come with a CMOS battery that has been sitting in the warehouse for some time and is not in a particularly good start of charge from sitting so long. If it IS installed correctly and replacing it doesn't help, then you need to RMA the motherboard because there is nothing else short of a faulty motherboard that would cause that.

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Make sure the CMOS battery is not installed upside down, and perhaps try a new CMOS battery. Sometimes even on a fairly new board it can come with a CMOS battery that has been sitting in the warehouse for some time and is not in a particularly good start of charge from sitting so long. If it IS installed correctly and replacing it doesn't help, then you need to RMA the motherboard because there is nothing else short of a faulty motherboard that would cause that.

I have done all of the above.
Can a faulty motherboard work and not work then work then not work again?

Yes, it certainly can. Intermittent problems are not uncommon, but the fact that this has happened with multiple motherboards per your deleted post would indicate that the problem is probably not due to the motherboard anyway.

Did both motherboards have the same problem with the time and date? Is the time and date verifiable problem verifiable from within the BIOS or are you basing it on what you see in Windows?

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Yes, it certainly can. Intermittent problems are not uncommon, but the fact that this has happened with multiple motherboards per your deleted post would indicate that the problem is probably not due to the motherboard anyway.

Did both motherboards have the same problem with the time and date? Is the time and date verifiable problem verifiable from within the BIOS or are you basing it on what you see in Windows?

It did not happen with both motherboard hence I deleted the post.
So that would indicate it as just a faulty motherboard?

What do you mean by "sent to get repaired". Sent to ASRock? Or someplace else?

Because they don't "repair" these boards. If they test bad they throw them into a faulty bin and send you either a refurbished board or a new one. The only way they every send you the same motherboard back is if they didn't do anything to it because they SAY they couldn't find anything wrong with it which is sometimes clearly not the case.

Did they send you the same motherboard back both times? Because if they did, then I can guarantee they didn't do anything to it. The only thing they'll do, if that's all it needs, is replace or reflash the BIOS ROM. It's not worth their time or money to bother trying to "repair" motherboards as they come in.

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
What do you mean by "sent to get repaired". Sent to ASRock? Or someplace else?

Because they don't "repair" these boards. If they test bad they throw them into a faulty bin and send you either a refurbished board or a new one. The only way they every send you the same motherboard back is if they didn't do anything to it because they SAY they couldn't find anything wrong with it which is sometimes clearly not the case.

Did they send you the same motherboard back both times? Because if they did, then I can guarantee they didn't do anything to it. The only thing they'll do, if that's all it needs, is replace or reflash the BIOS ROM. It's not worth their time or money to bother trying to "repair" motherboards as they come in.
Sent it to repair from the store i bought the mobo from.
Same mobo get sent back
They said they did test to find the problem but they could find any. Apparently the mobo turns on for them but as soon as i brought the mobo back it turns on then next day it doesn't

One of the times i sent my entire pc to go get checked and it powers on fine but when i brought it back after a few days it stopped powering on again

Last edited:
What country are you in?

Are you using a UPS power backup?

Are you using a power strip or "surge protector"?

Try plugging the unit directly into the wall without any of those devices being between the PSU and the socket if you are, and try a different socket as well.

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
What country are you in?

Are you using a UPS power backup?

Are you using a power strip or "surge protector"?

Try plugging the unit directly into the wall without any of those devices being between the PSU and the socket if you are, and try a different socket as well.

New Zealand
I am using an surge protector
Ive tried plugging it in another socket
Ive troed the same socket with another pc and that pc turned on
No ups power backup

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Ok, so what is in use at your house that isn't in use at the repair shop?

Monitor?

Wall socket?

Peripherals like keyboard and mouse?

Except that you are still using all those same items when you use the other motherboard, and don't have the same problem, right?

So I don't know what to tell you. Something has to be different than what is used at the shop, but if you use the same things with a different board and it works, even though you are using same monitor, outlet, keyboard, mouse, USB devices, etc., then it's back to the motherboard. I don't know what to tell you. Ghosts?

Maybe they simply have better, more stable power there, and that board just happens to be on the edge of where it doesn't like lower grade power, but the other board you have has a better power delivery configuration and is able to tolerate it. That's the only guess I can make at this point.

I'll bring in a fresh pair of eyes. Maybe somebody else can think of something I'm overlooking.

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Monitor?

Wall socket?

Except that you are still using all those same items when you use the other motherboard, and don't have the same problem, right?

So I don't know what to tell you. Something has to be different than what is used at the shop, but if you use the same things with a different board and it works, even though you are using same monitor, outlet, keyboard, mouse, USB devices, etc., then it's back to the motherboard. I don't know what to tell you. Ghosts?

Maybe they simply have better, more stable power there, and that board just happens to be on the edge of where it doesn't like lower grade power, but the other board you have has a better power delivery configuration and is able to tolerate it. That's the only guess I can make at this point.

I'll bring in a fresh pair of eyes. Maybe somebody else can think of something I'm overlooking.
Everything is the same.
It seems like my PC just hates me.
I'll get a new motherboard and update you if it still doesnt work

Fireb3rd

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Monitor?

Wall socket?

Seems like it the motherboard is the problem I bought a new one and it worked.
Dont get why the mobo hates my house