[SOLVED] My PC spec can't play any games

waynaldotmlg

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
My pc is struggling to play the latest call of duty and fortnite on any settings,

On both games I have lowered everything to low and even put the frame rate capped to 60fps,

My gameplay stutters alot and constantly freezes,
This is my pc spec can anyone Recommend my next new hardware I will need.
Thanks
This is my pc link
My pc spec

Solution
Windows clutter can drag down performance; some people do fresh install every now and then to prevent bloat.

There are various opinions about upgrades. Many are likely to suggest going for new CPU, motherboard and RAM to stay current and avoid spending more money on an end of life system. It's also viable to upgrade to an i7-7700(k) depending on the price you can get for it (and with a BIOS update), and a new RAM kit should help alleviate some workloads. But that can be a new build thread in its own right. See how the fresh installation of Windows goes first.

waynaldotmlg

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
It shouldn't be that bad. How long have you had the system? Have you kept up with general maintenance like cleaning out dust? Checked any software oddities and behaviours?

Hi thanks for the reply,

Yeah I brought a RX 590 GPU around a week ago and when I installed it I made sure to do as much cleaning inside the case as I could,
All the new drivers and window updates are all installed,

The pc is around 2-3 years old. But not been used for the first 12 months.

RAM is starting to get on the low side with some modern games, but.... hm...
A few things to check before spending money (as far as I'm concerned).

1. Scan for viruses and malware.

2. Check task manager to see if there's anything in particular using the CPU in the background which seems excessive.

3. Use MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU (all cores), GPU and RAM frequencies and usages; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frametimes; and page file. Use the logging function to record the graphs, and upload so people on the forum can see if there's any odd behaviours going on when you get those stutter and freezes.

4. Use, something like, HWiNFO and see if you can find the voltage readings. BIOS should have similar readings if you're comfortable with that.

waynaldotmlg

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Thanks,

I just tried MSI burner can't figure out how use it.
I might do a factory reset of windows and start a fresh, see if that helps,

What would you recommend for the next update if I was to spend money,

Motherboard,
CPU
Or memory

RAM is starting to get on the low side with some modern games, but.... hm...
A few things to check before spending money (as far as I'm concerned).

1. Scan for viruses and malware.

2. Check task manager to see if there's anything in particular using the CPU in the background which seems excessive.

3. Use MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU (all cores), GPU and RAM frequencies and usages; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frametimes; and page file. Use the logging function to record the graphs, and upload so people on the forum can see if there's any odd behaviours going on when you get those stutter and freezes.

4. Use, something like, HWiNFO and see if you can find the voltage readings. BIOS should have similar readings if you're comfortable with that.

Windows clutter can drag down performance; some people do fresh install every now and then to prevent bloat.

There are various opinions about upgrades. Many are likely to suggest going for new CPU, motherboard and RAM to stay current and avoid spending more money on an end of life system. It's also viable to upgrade to an i7-7700(k) depending on the price you can get for it (and with a BIOS update), and a new RAM kit should help alleviate some workloads. But that can be a new build thread in its own right. See how the fresh installation of Windows goes first.

Reactions: waynaldotmlg
Solution

waynaldotmlg

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Hi thanks,

I have done a fresh install, the games alittle more playable but the CPU is at 100% when ever I game,
I have noticed I only have an 1 exhaust fan,
Would it benefit with a couple cheap intake fans or an extra exhaust fan,

Might look at the CPU upgrade and maybe swap my ram for a newer more performance ones.

Thanks big help

100% load wouldn't surprise me on newer games as 4 core/4 thread CPUs are now starting to reach their limits.

The one thing I don't think we managed to confirm either way is the load temperature of the CPU. Try something like HWiNFO, play the game which pushes the CPU to 100% and see what the maximum temperature reading is. If cooling is an issue then having more case fans can be of help (don't know much about placement and configurations though).