Question My pc stopped working for few weeks then started working alone then stopped working again

Apr 10, 2022
Hello guys, my pc stopped working a few months ago. I checked many things, but I can't find the failure. The pc is not showing any signs of life when I try to boot up, no fan spinning no led lights (except of the light of the GPU is always on). I tried to clean the cmos battery and removed all the cables and ram sticks then put them back, but unfortunately nothing happened. I have tested my power supply with the paper clipper test and it works fine, then i thought maybe it is not enough, so i bought a new power supply but it didn't solve the problem. After few weeks, my PC booted up in the middle of night out of nowhere and started working again and it didn't show any failure or anything. After few weeks, it stopped working again.. Then it worked after few days or weeks then it stopped again.. This has happened a few times. I don't know what part is causing the problem and I need your help. I wish you can help me guys.
Azad
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: B450M PRO-VDH MAX
GPU: Radeon RX 580 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (x2)
PSU: EVGA 500 W
SSD: crucial BX500 120 GB

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the PC's behavior.

That said, I suspect that there is a loose connection somewhere that makes and breaks causing power loss.

The paper clip test is only a basic test. Remember PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, 12) to various system components.

Problems with any voltage can result in system problems.

How old is the PSU? History of heavy gaming use?

Apr 10, 2022
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the PC's behavior.

That said, I suspect that there is a loose connection somewhere that makes and breaks causing power loss.

The paper clip test is only a basic test. Remember PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, 12) to various system components.

Problems with any voltage can result in system problems.

How old is the PSU? History of heavy gaming use?
Hey, the psu is less than 2 years old (quite new) and as I said I tried another one, but it didn't solve the problem.
I also suspect loose of connection somewhere, but unfortunately I couldn't find it after checking every cable and stuff.
What can I check next? Any idea?

Ralston18

Titan
Which model EVGA PSU - modular?

Is the PSU plugged into a wall outlet, a surge protector, or just some power strip?

How do you normally turn on and turn off the computer?

You mentioned cleaning the CMOS battery - try a new/fresh CMOS battery. Just as a matter of elimination.

= = = =

If the PC is turning itself on and off the power switch on the case may be the source of the problem.

Loose connection - intermittent and starts and stops due to vibrations and/or temperature changes.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

Apr 10, 2022
Which model EVGA PSU - modular?

Is the PSU plugged into a wall outlet, a surge protector, or just some power strip?

How do you normally turn on and turn off the computer?

You mentioned cleaning the CMOS battery - try a new/fresh CMOS battery. Just as a matter of elimination.

= = = =

If the PC is turning itself on and off the power switch on the case may be the source of the problem.

Loose connection - intermittent and starts and stops due to vibrations and/or temperature changes.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?
  • psu: EVGA 500w 80 plus
  • it is plugged to a power strip. I tried to plug my pc into the wall outlet, but it didn't boot either.
  • I usually turn on the pc by pressing the power switch and I turn it off by clicking on "turn off".
  • I have tried another cmos battery, but didn't work as well.
  • and yes the pc turns on by itself when it worked again (after weeks)
  • I don't have a multi meter and I don't know how to use it :(

Ralston18

Titan
So you use the physical case power switch to turn the pc on.

And you are indeed clicking the Windows Power icon to turn off the pc - correct?

My thought is that the physical case switch is defective in some manner and starting/stopping the pc at random.

The basis for that is primarily because the pc turns itself on.

However, computers can be configured to "wake up" via network commands.

FYI:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-and-use-wake-lan-wol-windows-10

[Note: You can easily find other similar links. ust do not download any"suggested" software to fix the problem and do not do any Registry editing.}

Take a close look at how the pc is configured accordingly.

Also temporarily turn of all screen savers and power savers.

Determine if the pc's behavior changes.

Apr 10, 2022
So you use the physical case power switch to turn the pc on.

And you are indeed clicking the Windows Power icon to turn off the pc - correct?

My thought is that the physical case switch is defective in some manner and starting/stopping the pc at random.

The basis for that is primarily because the pc turns itself on.

However, computers can be configured to "wake up" via network commands.

FYI:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-and-use-wake-lan-wol-windows-10

[Note: You can easily find other similar links. ust do not download any"suggested" software to fix the problem and do not do any Registry editing.}

Take a close look at how the pc is configured accordingly.

Also temporarily turn of all screen savers and power savers.

Determine if the pc's behavior changes.
Yes thats right.
I also have suspected the power switch, so I tried to connect the pins from the motherboard through screw driver, but unfortunately it didn't work.

Ralston18

Titan
Screwdriver - something like this:

http://support.antec.com/support/so...nplugging the power,test on your power supply.

Not one to recommend "jump starting" the the computer in that manner. All too easy for bad things to happen when attempting such things.

However, you do need to ensure that you shorted the correct pins as applicable to your motherboard. Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to be sure that you shorted the correct pins.

= = = =

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does.

Likely the physical switch can be removed and tested. Or just simply replaced.

Apr 10, 2022
Screwdriver - something like this:

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000046605-how-to-test-the-power-button#:~:text=Start by unplugging the power,test on your power supply.

Not one to recommend "jump starting" the the computer in that manner. All too easy for bad things to happen when attempting such things.

However, you do need to ensure that you shorted the correct pins as applicable to your motherboard. Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to be sure that you shorted the correct pins.

= = = =

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does.

Likely the physical switch can be removed and tested. Or just simply replaced.
Hey, yes I did that screwdriver test with the power switch pins, but as I said it didn't work. I returned the power switch carefully to the right spot.
Unfortunately, I don't have a multi-meter.
How should I test the power switch?

Ralston18

Titan
The power switch/button can be tested with a multi-meter but that option appears moot unless you can find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

The next option being to replace the power button.

What computer case are you using?

Are you able to open the case and take a couple of photographs showing the power button and its' respective connections to the motherboard?

If so, do so, and post the photographs here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Also this motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7A38v8.1.pdf

And you did the screwdriver test across JFP1 - Pins 6 and 8 per physically numbered Page 12 of the User Manual?

Apr 10, 2022
The power switch/button can be tested with a multi-meter but that option appears moot unless you can find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Are you able to open the case and take a couple of photographs showing the power button and its' respective connections to the motherboard?

Also this motherboard?

And you did the screwdriver test across JFP1 - Pins 6 and 8 per physically numbered Page 12 of the User Manual?
Yes sir, that is the right motherboard and yes I tried to connect pin 6 and 8 through the screwdriver. I will open the case and send you some pictures as asked.
The case's name is Cooler Master.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022

Also this motherboard?

Here the pictures
View: https://imgur.com/a/3nP5s4d

Ralston18

Titan
I am not seeing anything immediately obvious.

Is there a missing screw/standoff in that corner next to JFP1?

However I am wondering about the connector going into JFP1 - the wires appear a bit smashed and angled.

Could not see much with respect to the other end of the cable going up into the case. However the ribbon cable appears to be twisted and sort of bent around into and on to the connector there. Are you able to remove the panel and look from the other side?

Are you able to check the routing of the ribbon cable once it has left JFP1 on its way to the front panel? Look for kinks and nicks along the length. Especially any place where the ribbon angles around or touches a metal edge.

If you carefully and gently wiggle /twist the cable at each end will the system respond in any way: Starts, stops, LED flashes, etc.?

I am still thinking that there is a short of some sort or a broken wire along the ribbon cable's path. Or a faulty/problem within the ribbon cable's connectors.

And not the power switch itself.

Anyway, based on the photographs (thank you), someone else may offer other ideas and suggestions.

= = = =

When you used the screwdriver to short pins 6 & 8 did you hold the screw driver in place for a couple of seconds at least?

Do the HDD and Power LED's light up or even flicker at all? (Noted that only the GPU light came on.)

Apr 10, 2022
I am not seeing anything immediately obvious.

Is there a missing screw/standoff in that corner next to JFP1?

However I am wondering about the connector going into JFP1 - the wires appear a bit smashed and angled.

Could not see much with respect to the other end of the cable going up into the case. However the ribbon cable appears to be twisted and sort of bent around into and on to the connector there. Are you able to remove the panel and look from the other side?

Are you able to check the routing of the ribbon cable once it has left JFP1 on its way to the front panel? Look for kinks and nicks along the length. Especially any place where the ribbon angles around or touches a metal edge.

If you carefully and gently wiggle /twist the cable at each end will the system respond in any way: Starts, stops, LED flashes, etc.?

I am still thinking that there is a short of some sort or a broken wire along the ribbon cable's path. Or a faulty/problem within the ribbon cable's connectors.

And not the power switch itself.

Anyway, based on the photographs (thank you), someone else may offer other ideas and suggestions.

= = = =

When you used the screwdriver to short pins 6 & 8 did you hold the screw driver in place for a couple of seconds at least?

Do the HDD and Power LED's light up or even flicker at all? (Noted that only the GPU light came on.)
Hey,
No there is no pin missing in JFP1. It's just like that as you can see in the motherboard catalog.
Yes the wire is angled. I tried to press it gently and move it a little bit, but nothing happened.
I aslo checked the ribbon cable, but everything looks fine and there is no hard nicks.
When I used the screwdriver to shorten pin 6 and 8, I held it for a few seconds, but there is no respond or any LED lights or something. The Pc is giving no sign of life ( except of the LED light of the GPU, which is all the time on).
I have suspicious that the motherboard could be faulty. Any idea how to test it?

Ralston18

Titan
Correct - no pin missing in JFP1.

I was referring to the hole just to right of JFP1 and showing just above the ribbon cable.

I believe that there should be a stand-off there. Motherboard could be making contact with the case in that area. Is the GPU pressing down?

Maybe being flexed in some manner as components heat and cool.

If all other components test successfully then that leaves the motherboard as a suspect.

Testing a motherboard - there are some things that can be done.

Reference:

https://www.technewstoday.com/how-to-test-motherboard/

https://www.laptopmill.com/how-to-test-motherboard-for-faults/

https://idealcpu.com/how-to-test-a-motherboard-without-a-cpu/

Any such tests require attentive reading, planning, and being very careful when doing the tests, etc..

And if possible find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.