Question My PC suddenly and randomly turn off. Replaced mainboard. Worked fine 2 months. Then problem happens again.

May 9, 2021
Hello everyone.

A few months back, I've encountered a series of problems with my new self-build PC (5-6 months old). This is the timeline:

- One day, my hdd is corrupted. I bought a new ssd and moved everything from the old HDD to the new SDD with participants wizard tool.

- My HDD is now run incredibly slow when accessing to window, but i still keep HDD as a storage place

- After few days. My PC started to turn off suddenly and randomly. It happens more and more frequently. It can even auto self turn on at some point.

- I tried to research everything. Removed the HDD, removed the graphic card. My PC even turn off in BIOS.

- I once try to reinsert my RAM. After that, the slot seem to not be able to hold RAM tight enough. It often automatically falls out a little bit at one end.

- There is one time I see the electric spark in my power trip. I remove it immediately afterward.

- I decided to replace my mainboard, my power trip, change electric cable to a new socket and a new CPU fan with new thermal paste included.

- Everything worked PERFECTLY FINE for 2 months

- Except my monitor sometimes turned off then turned on immediately. The electricity might be the culprit at somepoint. Because this monitor problem didnt happen again recently, or I just couldnt use my PC till that part.

- Then the problem started again. I think it started from the day my computer suddenly goes into the blue "shutting down" screen while im play dota 2. Tried to finish the match but it happened 2 more times till the end.

- My PC now again suddenly and randomly turns off without warning more and more frequently. But no self turn on this time.

- I once checked my case and found out my CPU fan is loose. I sticked it tight again, but the the problem still exists.

- Additional info about my PS4, using the same monitor and power trip. After a few weeks using the PS4. It started to turn off suddenly too.

- I actually have tried using an USP, but it was no help. And my room light bulb was still running in the mean time. So i dont know if electricity was the culprit or not.

Now Im feeling lost and stuck. Im hesitate to buying a new replacement part before figuring out the true reason behind this. I dont have much money to buy a whole new system.

May someone help me? If you need any other information, please let me know. I deely, truely thank you in advance.

Update 10.05.2021:
Everything was built from scratch within 5-6 months. All new parts.
My specs is:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Mainboard MSI B360M PRO-VDH
GPU Asus ROG Radeon RX 570 (no idea if its overclocked or not)
RAM 16GB
OS Windows 10 Pro
PSU Corsair CX550 (550 Watt)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Varying errors and/or increasing numbers of errors make me think that the PSU is the primary suspect.

It may be degrading and the new components, etc. simply lowered power demands or otherwise temporarily slowed the PSU's decline.

At your system's next successful boot look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings. Reliability History is user friendly and presents a timeline format that can be very revealing.

Also, before doing anything be sure to back up all important data at least 2 x ensuring that the backups are proven recoverable and readable. Save to drives/locations both on and off the problem computer.

May 9, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

At your system's next successful boot look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings. Reliability History is user friendly and presents a timeline format that can be very revealing.

Thank you for your reply, everything was built from scratch within 5-6 months. All new parts.
My specs is:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Mainboard MSI B360M PRO-VDH
GPU Asus ROG Radeon RX 570 (no idea if its overclocked or not)
RAM 16GB
OS Windows 10 Pro
PSU Corsair CX550 (550 Watt)

Is there anyway to check the PSU? Can Reliability History show it?

ComputerGuy99

Honorable
Aug 14, 2014
Since you have been having problems with your computer, monitor, and playstation the most likely cause of your problems is either your electrical service and/or the wiring in your building. What part of the world do you live in? Also how old is the house/building you are living in? If the building is older, what condition is the electrical system (wiring, fuse/breaker panel, receptacles, etc.) in? I am asking these questions because I have experienced problems like the ones you describe in the past with computers, TVs and other sensitive electronic devices and the culprit has often been related to the building’s electrical system. Things to watch out for include worn out outlets that don’t grip plugs properly, outlets or switches that get warm or spark when used, outlets that are not grounded properly or at all, overloaded branch circuits and electrical panels, etc.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
Since you have been having problems with your computer, monitor, and playstation the most likely cause of your problems is either your electrical service and/or the wiring in your building. What part of the world do you live in? Also how old is the house/building you are living in? If the building is older, what condition is the electrical system (wiring, fuse/breaker panel, receptacles, etc.) in? I am asking these questions because I have experienced problems like the ones you describe in the past with computers, TVs and other sensitive electronic devices and the culprit has often been related to the building’s electrical system. Things to watch out for include worn out outlets that don’t grip plugs properly, outlets or switches that get warm or spark when used, outlets that are not grounded properly or at all, overloaded branch circuits and electrical panels, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I currently living in an appartment in Germany, i unfortunately dont know much about my building condition. I think it was built in 19xx.

I experienced some electrical problem in the past too. Like my light bulb auto turn on or off when someone close the door and go out, my old PS4 suddenly turned off a lot before i decided to buy a PSU. My PSU now cant prevent my PC suddenly turn off. My PSU is now already 2-3 years old, which i dont know if its still in good condition or not. But it can also be PC components fault since it has power outrage too many times.

After some testing in recent days, i also believe there is problem with my electrical condition. Like my nintendo switch dock is also reboot twice.
And I also found out that the light on my power strip's button is off for second then on again sometime too, even when there was no device turned on.
I decided to plug a desk lamp straight to the suspect socket, and plug another lamp to other socket with the suspect power strip between. Strangly enough, both lamps are constantly light through 2 days already, no problem happened.

P/s: this is my current suspect power strip
https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_vivanco-28260-1284269.html
which i think doesnt have ground protection, and that may cause the problem

May 26, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I currently living in an appartment in Germany, i unfortunately dont know much about my building condition. I think it was built in 19xx.

I experienced some electrical problem in the past too. Like my light bulb auto turn on or off when someone close the door and go out, my old PS4 suddenly turned off a lot before i decided to buy a PSU. My PSU now cant prevent my PC suddenly turn off. My PSU is now already 2-3 years old, which i dont know if its still in good condition or not. But it can also be PC components fault since it has power outrage too many times.

After some testing in recent days, i also believe there is problem with my electrical condition. Like my nintendo switch dock is also reboot twice.
And I also found out that the light on my power strip's button is off for second then on again sometime too, even when there was no device turned on.
I decided to plug a desk lamp straight to the suspect socket, and plug another lamp to other socket with the suspect power strip between. Strangly enough, both lamps are constantly light through 2 days already, no problem happened.

P/s: this is my current suspect power strip
https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_vivanco-28260-1284269.html
which i think doesnt have ground protection, and that may cause the problem
Probably not going to be easy, but do you know anyone else that lives not too far away, that you could take your PC to to test at their property?

This would rule out any issues with the components, judging by the sound of it, there is either an overload or the way the circuit wiring is in the building is either wrong, faulty, or outdated and isn't designed to support higher power draw devices.

Personally, i'd say it's more likely to your electrical supply in the property, but if it's not that, then it's likely to be the PSU as opposed to any other component. I'm doubtful that the PSU is actually causing the issue as you mention power issues with other devices that are separate from your PC, and are not powered by it.

May 9, 2021
Probably not going to be easy, but do you know anyone else that lives not too far away, that you could take your PC to to test at their property?

This would rule out any issues with the components, judging by the sound of it, there is either an overload or the way the circuit wiring is in the building is either wrong, faulty, or outdated and isn't designed to support higher power draw devices.

Personally, i'd say it's more likely to your electrical supply in the property, but if it's not that, then it's likely to be the PSU as opposed to any other component. I'm doubtful that the PSU is actually causing the issue as you mention power issues with other devices that are separate from your PC, and are not powered by it.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah its not gonna be easy to ask someone else to test my computer, especially when I have to use it everyday.
I tested with the other electrical socket in another room in my house. The problem still happened. Even my housemate is using a stronger PC than me though.

Since the last comment, i have switched my PSU to the new one. The problem still continued to occur for about a week. BUT then, suddenly it has been stopped until today. I dont know how long it will last (hopefully i dont get "punished" for saying this out loud lol) but I really hope it can fix the problem somehow. But yeah, still very strange when thinking about it, like there is no common solution for all of my situations.