Question My PC suddenly can't boot with GPU installed

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
Hello, I newly built my pc and have been using it for 2 weeks+ until yesterday. Today, I struggle to turn on my PC and after several troubleshooting steps, I recognize I'm having a problem in particular when booting with my GPU installed. My PC can only boot for a second and then completely dead with no code whatsoever in the motherboard appearing. However, my PC can boot successfully without the GPU installed. I have tried several troubleshooting steps, for example:
  1. Try other PCIe lane = still can't boot
  2. Change PSU's PCIe cable = still can't boot
I suspect there is a problem with my GPU or PSU. Is there any way to know exactly what component is defective in my PC or is this a system problem? Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asrock Z690 Taichi Razer Edition
PSU: MSI MPG A850gf
CPU: i5-13600KF
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 12 GB

Last edited:
A good example of the benefit of buying the I5-13600K instead of the KF.

What might have changed from two weeks ago when all was well?

I might suspect a faulty windows update.

Can you get into the bios, or is it the boot to windows that is the issue?

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
I just installed some programs, and I think I had windows update around 1 week ago but it seems fine after that. I just played a game and coded 12 hours before my PC was "dead".
My PC won't turn on with GPU and I don't have K-type CPU either, so I can't look into the BIOS. Nevertheless, I could reset the CMOS from the motherboard if it is needed.

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try to do it soon. If it turns out to be a GPU faulty, what is the main cause of that? I just bought this GPU 1 month ago and it barely reaches 60° Celcius when I'm playing games.

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
Luckily, it turns out that my GPU and PSU are fine. I also have tried changing the DRAM slot and reseating HDD/SSD. However, it still not working with GPU attached. Does it mean I have a faulty motherboard or are there any faulty possibilities in other components?

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
Can I boot the PC with GPU installed but without PCIe cables connected? I'm using RTX 3080 and it needs a lot of power. Indeed, the GPU is fine because I was testing it in the service center.

TRENDING THREADS