Question My PC suddenly Shut Off.

kevokoma

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hey Guys,

My PC suddenly Shut Off. CPU Cooling Fan Kept spinning until doing Manual Shutdown. PC no longer Boots Up.

I had stepped away for half an hour while some file transfers were completing. When I came back, I found that the PC was off but the CPU's cooling fan was still spinning, albeit slowly.

I turned off the PC and attempted to do a manual restart. However, nothing happened, I could see that my PSU's and CPU's fan would spin for nealy about 5 seconds and then they would stop and nothing would happen.

However, after I changed the power outlet, the PC started up again, got to the login screen and then inexplicably died on me again. Now, nothing works, I have tried every outlet in the house but nothing.

I have had this current PC build for nearly 2 years now, and nothing like this has ever happened.

I scoured the internet for solutions and attempted most of the repeated advice.

Removing all components and trying to make it work with just cpu and RAM. Nothing.

Re-chekcing every wired connection and reinstalling each connection. Nothing.

Removing RAM, using one in different ports. Nothing.

Removing the CMOS battery. Nothing.

I am at my wit's end. I don;t know what could be wrong?
Is my motherboard dead, I have had it for a very long time now, its the only component I did not replace in my new build.
How would I test for a dead MOBO?

Is it the PSU? How can I test to check if its still working? I am hesitant to use the paper clip as I don't have any expertise in Electricity, so I fear that by attempting that test, I might fry a working Unit.
Is it the CMOS Battery that's dead? If so how can I test for that?

My PSU is a Thermaltake 500W Smart Series.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
GPU: Radeon RX580

Ps: I should mention that I used to recieve some BSOD errors, but they were very rare, and would often occur after I accidently bumped into my PC's case.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help you can offer.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and offer an opinion or help.

Regards,
K.

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Obviously it could be a variety of things, but one thing we can say for certain, is the Thermaltake Smart as a poor quality PSU and could easily be the cause of something like this.

The BSOD could well be important as they may have been indicating something, but if you cannot access the dump files we will not be able to interpret them.

The paperclip test is an easy way of identifying anything obvious, but also is not a thorough test. If you are not comfortable with it, don't do it.

I would start by replacing the PSU with a good quality unit, because even if it ISN'T the PSU, you're doing yourself a benefit by getting rid of the Smart.

What is the rest of your system spec?

kevokoma

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Obviously it could be a variety of things, but one thing we can say for certain, is the Thermaltake Smart as a poor quality PSU and could easily be the cause of something like this.

The BSOD could well be important as they may have been indicating something, but if you cannot access the dump files we will not be able to interpret them.

The paperclip test is an easy way of identifying anything obvious, but also is not a thorough test. If you are not comfortable with it, don't do it.

I would start by replacing the PSU with a good quality unit, because even if it ISN'T the PSU, you're doing yourself a benefit by getting rid of the Smart.

What is the rest of your system spec?
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I changed the PSU unit and still experiencing the same problem, the fans will spin for a few seconds and then stop.

We tried a few more troubleshooting tests.

First I tried to connect only the 24-pin connector and did not connect the 8 pin connector to the CPU. The PSU turned on succesfully, albeit on a boot loop.

Next, we removed the entire cpu from its socket and turned on the PSU. It also turned on succesfully.

Now my question is, would a dead Processor cause such issues? Or is it a dead motherboard circuit around the processor?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I changed the PSU unit and still experiencing the same problem, the fans will spin for a few seconds and then stop.

We tried a few more troubleshooting tests.

First I tried to connect only the 24-pin connector and did not connect the 8 pin connector to the CPU. The PSU turned on succesfully, albeit on a boot loop.

Next, we removed the entire cpu from its socket and turned on the PSU. It also turned on succesfully.

Now my question is, would a dead Processor cause such issues? Or is it a dead motherboard circuit around the processor?
What PSU did you change it to?

There is every possibility that your previous TT Smart was the cause of the original shutdown but has caused damage elsewhere.

Processor failure is much rarer.

What is your Full system spec?