My PC suddenly shutsdown while gaming after installing a new videocard (MSI RX 480)

sensei888

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
I'm coming to you for advice, since I'm a bit desperate at this point...
A couple of days ago I bought a new gpu (MSI RX 480, 8Gb) to put it in my somewhat-oldish computer and finally be able to play all those new games I've had to ignore for the last year due to having an old vcard.
After installing it I tested it while playing the new Doom and Rise of the Tomb Raider, but imagine my despair when my computer just suddenly shuts down while playing games (actually it only has happened with TR, if I recall correctly). At first I thought it might be a drivers issue (I installed the new drivers on top of the old ones), so I uninstalled drivers and installed them again... but I'm getting the same crashes. No BSOD, the computer just shuts down. When it first happened, I touched the computer's case and holy shit! It was very very hot. Like, I've never seen my computer that hot. I freaked out a bit and today I put the case a bit more far away from the desk (the airflow is not good at all, to be honest), opened the side of the computer... and was able to play for a while without any problem. I also checked for temperature of the CPU using Speedfan and it rarely went more than 60 Celsius... which should be fine. I thought, then, that the issue might have been the high temperature of the computer, so I'm already doing plans to buy more fans and whatnot.
The problem is that this evening I've tried to play Tomb Raider again, with open case, good airflow, you get the idea. And, of course, the computer crashed again. I was, while playing, monitoring the temperatures of the CPU and all was normal. I even, before I started playing, ran Furmark stress test for 20 minutes, and the GPU's temp didn't go more than 70 Celsius... Computer is pretty cool at this point.
Now I'm starting to think... maybe the crashes are caused by the PSU not being able to provide enough juice to the GPU, but I honestly don't know.
What do you think might be causing this? Is there anything I can try to do before giving in and bringing the whole thing to a service or RMAing the vcard? I suspect the card's Ok and my computer is faulty, somehow.
This is my current setup:
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU: i5-3570
8 Gb RAM (DDR3, 1600 Mhz)
PSU: Chieftec 650W ...and I don't know what else is relevant here.
I also checked the event viewer and there's no reference to what caused the unexpected shutdown more than "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" (marked as error). If I check the next warning item in the event viewer list (after the shutdown) is "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM".
Thank you very much for your help!!

gussrtk

Honorable
have a look at this here.

https://appuals.com/driver-wudfrd-failed-to-load-for-the-device-with-event-id-219/

also, if you didn't provide the event logger info. I would say it's your PSU. Did you DDU (fresh install new drivers?)?

and sorry, but too much to read, I really didn't even look at the body, only at specs and end piece.

All I know is I wouldn't be spending $200 on a new videocard if I had a Chieftec PSU. I'd buy a quality power supply first. I do believe it's possible your issue is power supply related, especially if your previous videocard was much less powerful. It probably never stressed the PSU before.

Mysticking32

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
I'm assuming you're getting the kernel event power 41 error? I think I see the problem so try the following. Uninstall your current gpu drivers, then use ddu to uninstall the drivers, second sweep basically, and click clean and shut down after going into safe mode. Take your gpu out the pci slot and clean for dust and everything. Reseat the gpu and make sure everything is firm and the wires are secure. Turn the pc back on. Go to amd's website and download a fresh set of the latest drivers. Install them normally then reboot. Now check to see if the problem persists.

If the problem persists after doing all of the above ^^^^^, then the next possible solution is to open up amd settings by right clicking on the desktop. Go into global settings and enable power efficiency. You stated your machine was oldish and the error might be an error that was occurring earlier when amd released the 480. Basically the card was drawing too much power from the motherboard's pci slot instead of the power supply. So enabling the power efficiency mode should set that at ease.

Were you getting this error at all with your previous gpu? What was your previous gpu? Try my above solutions, and each step involved.

sensei888

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Hi there! I checked my event log but I didn't actually have that event power 41 error... I'll anyway try uninstalling the drivers with DDU and all that you wrote. I'll also give a shot to the power efficiency option in AMD settings.

I didn't get this problem with my old GPU (an Asus HD7850), though maybe it could explain some random shutdowns I might have had over the years (not many). What I have right now is a systematic issue: I start a game, I play for a while, the computer shuts down.

It really looks like my PSU is bad...

sensei888

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

I guess you're right... I honestly just checked the required Watts for a PSU and this new vcard (500W, according to MSI) and thought I was Ok with what I had.

Apparently not :-(

sensei888

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Thanks for your reply. Not yet, I haven't done the DDU, but I'll try it right away.

sensei888

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Hi again! And thanks for your earlier reply.

I decided to check the global efficiency option in the AMD setting menu before I'd proceed to the clean uninstall/install of the drivers, and lo and behold... I played for more than an hour without any crashes. I think you hit the nail in the head with this one.

Now, do you think this rules out any type of driver issues and points directly to the PSU as guilty of the shutdowns? Thanks again!

Mysticking32

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014

Yeah I figured that's what was happening when you said you had an older system. Keep testing and playing games normally and if it doesn't crash or anything I'd say you're good.

TRENDING THREADS