My PC suddenly stopped working

SpeedLynx

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Hey guys,

I need some help with what I am meant to do.
So I purchased the parts of a PC on the 25th of August and assembled it the next week. Everything has been working perfectly until a few minutes back today when the headphones I was wearing made a sudden hiss and the screen went black and my computer went off.

I pressed the power button to try and turn it back on but it doesn’t turn on, I then checked the plugs for the fuses but they are ok so then I tried switching off the power supply and then switching it on again. At that point I noticed my keyboard was flashing every 4 seconds.

I tried opening up the case and checked if there was any loose connections but there isn't.

Please help me, I'm not sure what to do.

Here are my specs by the way:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£178.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£18.43 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£65.24 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston 120GB SSD (£36.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (£52.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£225.10 (Used) @ AmazonUK
Case: CiT VANQUISH RED ATX Mid Tower Case (£37.42 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£65.69 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224FB/BEBE 24x (£11.35)
Operating System: Windows 10

Solution
It's burned traces(see these at work) of the motherboard. Looks like to much current may have went through them causing the bulging and burnt look. I wouldn't try to power up your PC without replacing the motherboard, probably the PSU as well. It could have been a surge from the PSU caused it to damage the motherboard, or a fault w/ the motherboard itself. No need to risk damaging your other parts.

SpeedLynx

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015

Hi Alexoiu,
I tested the power supply first inside the computer case and couldn't tell whether it was working or not, so I then removed it from the case in order to check and it works flawlessly.

So as the next step I unscrewed the motherboard and removed it from the case and checked it and then turned it over and then found this.

WP_20151004_001.jpg

It looks like the circuitry of the motherboard is completely melted!

Firstly is this repairable? (Probably not)

Secondly what do I do? (do I ask for a replacement, if so who do I ask?)

Thirdly is there any theories as to what might have caused the circuits to do that.

It's burned traces(see these at work) of the motherboard. Looks like to much current may have went through them causing the bulging and burnt look. I wouldn't try to power up your PC without replacing the motherboard, probably the PSU as well. It could have been a surge from the PSU caused it to damage the motherboard, or a fault w/ the motherboard itself. No need to risk damaging your other parts.

Solution