[SOLVED] My PC suddently drops to 1.4ghz even tho i am not overclocking and my cpu is not reaching +60C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
Hello, when i play a game like GTA V i got fps drops from 60 fps to 5-10 fps, i do a stress test i see that my cpu lowers the clock at 1.4 ghz. And Voltage at 0.8 . I am not overclocking and i will never. I can send photos of my stress test.

PC: AMD FX-6300
8 GB ram
Asus m5a78l-m lx3
An unknown 600w PSU

Solution
so lets get back to the question, if i put a fan on the panel it should cool down the vrms and me dont have an problem right?
I don't know. The simple way to test that theory is to take off the side panel and point a desk fan at the motherboard. IF this fixes your problem, then you know it is an overheating/airflow problem. You will need to use some monitoring software to see WHAT is overheating. An infrared thermometer could also help.
IF you take the side panel off, and it fixes it WITHOUT the desk fan, then you know you have an airflow problem in the case. You need more intake fans (probably)

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, when i play a game like GTA V i got fps drops from 60 fps to 5-10 fps, i do a stress test i see that my cpu lowers the clock at 1.4 ghz. And Voltage at 0.8 . I am not overclocking and i will never. I can send photos of my stress test.

PC: AMD FX-6300
8 GB ram
Asus m5a78l-m lx3
An unknown 600w PSU
What kind of CPU cooler are you using ?
I would be suspicious of that "unknown" power supply.

kanewolf

Titan
Its a deepcool cooler.
I think its the vrm cause when i open my window " my pc is like besides the window and i dont get spikes. Maybe if i get other motherboard the vrm will not heat?
I also thought the VR section could be the problem. If you have an AIO cooler, then no air circulates near the VRMs. That is why the question about cooler. But it could be just case airflow. Have you tried running with the side panel off?

I would not recommend spending any money on that CPU. Save your money for a CPU/motherboard/RAM combo replacement.

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
I also thought the VR section could be the problem. If you have an AIO cooler, then no air circulates near the VRMs. That is why the question about cooler. But it could be just case airflow. Have you tried running with the side panel off?

I would not recommend spending any money on that CPU. Save your money for a CPU/motherboard/RAM combo replacement.
I have an air cooler so i think air circulates around, maybe if i get a fan and mount it on my panel it could get fixed. Also i didnt tried to run with my side panel off, i cleaned my pc of dust just so. I really hope its not an motherboard problem(need to replace it). If i get cool air in my pc ( like 0c from outside from opening the window) in a game like Rainbow 6 Siege the spike problem disapear.

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021

Also i have an r7 250 video card, should i get an video card replacement first or cpu/motherboard/replacement?

kanewolf

Titan
in my country for 135 dollars i can get an gtx 1060 3gb ( second hand), but i cannot find rx 580 at second hand.
I just picked the RX580 as an example of the relative performance of your current GPU. This page -- https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r7-250.c2459 has relative comparisons for lots of cards. A 1650 would be about 4X the performance.

You do need to think about the fact that new graphics cards DO NOT have VGA ports. If you have a VGA only monitor, it will be a hassle if you get a 1650 card. I think the 900 series NVIDIA cards were the last ones with VGA ports.

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
I just picked the RX580 as an example of the relative performance of your current GPU. This page -- https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r7-250.c2459 has relative comparisons for lots of cards. A 1650 would be about 4X the performance.

You do need to think about the fact that new graphics cards DO NOT have VGA ports. If you have a VGA only monitor, it will be a hassle if you get a 1650 card. I think the 900 series NVIDIA cards were the last ones with VGA ports.
I dont care if it do not have vga ports. I have an reliable source where they are 100% not giving me a very used or broken video card. They can give me an gtx 1060 3 gb for 135$ and i can t spend more.

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021

sorry if i speak broken english but english isn't my native language.

kanewolf

Titan
I dont care if it do not have vga ports. I have an reliable source where they are 100% not giving me a very used or broken video card. They can give me an gtx 1060 3 gb for 135$ and i can t spend more.
Loss of VGA port is an issue for many users here that are coming from an old graphics card. I just wanted to be sure you knew of the potential issue.

Reactions: Jacklope

kanewolf

Titan
so lets get back to the question, if i put a fan on the panel it should cool down the vrms and me dont have an problem right?
I don't know. The simple way to test that theory is to take off the side panel and point a desk fan at the motherboard. IF this fixes your problem, then you know it is an overheating/airflow problem. You will need to use some monitoring software to see WHAT is overheating. An infrared thermometer could also help.
IF you take the side panel off, and it fixes it WITHOUT the desk fan, then you know you have an airflow problem in the case. You need more intake fans (probably)

Solution

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
I gived some space to my pc, and now it spikes like 10 to 10 minutes, i think its the airflow

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
not like 10 to 10 minutes, more rarely

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
Hello, the problem was the psu, it was overheating as you said. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.