My pc turned off during a factory reset on windows 10. Need help!

Kabaine

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Okay so, I was doing a factory reset for my computer, my pc turned off during this, the computer wouldn't boot properly (it comes up with a white line dashing on the screen like a command prompt but I can't enter anything, ctrl alt delete also restarts the PC from that point), I have done some things but now i'm completely lost. I looked up some stuff to help, downloaded the windows 10 media and wanted to reinstall it (I put this onto a CD which is currently in my computer and booted it from the CD), got to selecting where to install it and all of the options wouldn't allow me to go through with this. I decided to look for device drivers in each of these and using a usb with a system image. It still doesn't find any drivers and I can't install Windows 10 back onto this PC, do I need to get another hard drive and replace the other one or need to open my computer or anything? I'm very confused and need help please!

Solution
Precise error message would help, not some "GPT thing".

Anyway - is there any data on the disk that needs saving?
If not, then you could clean the disk using diskpart (it is accessible when booting from windows installation media and choosing repair/command prompt)
After cleaning you reboot and launch win10 installation and it will create all necessary partitions by itself.

Kabaine

Commendable
May 18, 2016

I presume I will have to take the computer apart, correct? Also how do I check the bios for whether the old hdd is detected or not?

Dex does Computers

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

I need to ask you, when you attempt to reinstall windows did you see any drives when the installation asked for it?

Btw to get to the bios whenever you start the pc you will see a quick splash screen with a brand or something hit the setup key usually f2 or del key

Kabaine

Commendable
May 18, 2016

Sorry about the late reply, currently at college myself. I shall check the bios later, it says that it cannot detect any drivers when I put it in. When I am trying to install it to the hard drive it says it's not allowed due to this GPT thing, no idea on that. Also if it helps my PC is a Dell xps 8300

Precise error message would help, not some "GPT thing".

Anyway - is there any data on the disk that needs saving?
If not, then you could clean the disk using diskpart (it is accessible when booting from windows installation media and choosing repair/command prompt)
After cleaning you reboot and launch win10 installation and it will create all necessary partitions by itself.

Solution

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings, Kabaine:

I'm also a bit confused, so here are a few questions:

1) When you performed the factory reset, did you use a set of recovery CDs from Dell, or did you use the Update & Recovery feature in Windows10? I shall assume the latter, in which case you need to contact Dell and buy a set of recovery CDs.

2) When you bought the Dell, what OS was it running at the time? I shall assume that you upgraded to Win10 from Win7, in which case Dell has made sure you can only install Win7 on the original HDD or an HDD of at least similar size, and you can't upgrade to Win10 without an existing OS. Even if you make it past the GPT error message, Windows Setup will ask you if this is an upgrade or a clean install - which brings you back to 1) above.

3) You could also write down the Service Tag No. or the Express Service Code found on the Dell and go to Dell's Support Page for information about your specific XPS 8300. It appears to be a discontinued model so you may find that it wasn't designed for Win10 to begin with.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.