My PC turns off and on repeatidly for no apparent reason!

Sep 1, 2018
So I built a gaming pc about 3 years ago now, and I haven’t done much upgrading since. Recently about a month before my problem occurred, I bought a new power supply 750w with the intent to upgrade in the near future. (Have not upgraded anything besides that.) Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK motherboard, Corsair cx750m psu, Intel I7 4th gen, and a Radeon r9 270x graphics card. All these parts were bought and installed 3 years ago and have worked fine. So I was watching a movie on my pc when everything froze randomly. I figured I would restart it and it kept freezing sooner and sooner until it did what it is doing now which is it gets to the main page with the boot menu option and just restarts. Maybe 2 seconds and then it restarts. My problem is I’ve been reading similar posts and I can’t really find someone who has my problem with this happening seemingly randomly. Do I need to replace something?

Solution
Tried another cable?

If taking the gpu out and after that do a clear cmos is it possible to get intot he bios? The clear cmos should set the igp to enabled again.

If you still don't get an image might it well be the motherboard or cpu,soemthing that indeed neds to be tested on different hardware so a trip to the shop might be necessary.
Sep 1, 2018

Yes I do and I tried that and got the same result. https://imgur.com/nzthVPX

This is a photo of my screen. Notice the bars of either side of the screen those have been there since this all started. Also the boot device screen and boot manager work and my pc does not restart when I get to these screens. If I do not rapidly tap f12 my pc restarts.

Sep 1, 2018

Yes, My boot device is set to nr1 and have cleared cmos. Camp will not be enabled as it is greeted out for me. I have 10 gb ram and really don’t know what the mhz should be for that. Really nothing has changed except for when I move the mouse, something in the pc makes a beeping noise I think it’s the old psu. Thanks for the help btw. I hope this is just a faulty motherboard or a cpu or even graphics card. If so I’ll hapilly buy one this just sucks. I have no idea what the problem is.

Also it says my cpu temp is 44c is that bad?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The gpu is easily checked,just take the R9 270X out and use the igp => back i/o of the motherboard.

From what i read you can get into the bios?

Somehow think the hdd may give these problems. Just days ago remembered something which was usefull,

How to create a "Hiren's boot usb",

Go to the next to download the file,
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

For Rufus,
https://rufus.ie/nl_NL.html

A video tutorial by Britec09,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZe2mBBN350

With this should you be able to boot and do some diagnostics on your pc if necessary and when windows won't boot.
comes with tools to test the hdd. You need to boot from it so set it as first boot for now. You could also try a linux distro.

You could also test the ram,would test each stick on it's own,
https://www.memtest86.com/
needs you to make a bootable usb as well.

If you still can get into windows could you of course test the hdd from within there to of course,use the brands own tool for it,most have their own tool.

Sep 1, 2018

No matter what I try I cannot get into windows. I did the 270x test thank you for that. I can conclude the graphics card is not the problem. I also have another hard drive and I can use that but if you look back to that previous pic I posted, with this new hard drive it still has those lines on the screen. The hard drive has no bootable device on it so it’s not much help but I would assume it would have the same problem if it did. The hard drive and ram cards are the oldest parts of the pc (maybe 8 years). How do you load a bootable device onto a usb? If the problem is either my motherboard or cpu, I bought them together about 3 years ago so that’s bs if it is one of those. I also need to find out about testing the ram. I’ll try that and again thanks for the help. Will give more details this weekend.

Sep 1, 2018
Alright so today im not working obviously and I had time to fool around with the pc. No matter what I couldnt find a boot device. At work I use a pc that has a few parts so I figured I would go in and swap some out. I also have a brand new 3tbt hard drive laying around which I turned on and does not do the stupid constant restart thing. SO THATS GREAT. I used this new hard drive to load windows via usb stick. I got through that and got to the windows desktop. There were still lines on my screen so I tried to look in my display settings to see what I could do. Thats when I got a new problem. The screen goes black completely. I cant get to far into this pc now without this happening. When this started happening everything was fine and then my pc just froze. Is this a virus that affected everything? I changed my wire from graphics card to monitor and that didnt work. Is this a graphics card problem? Is this a motherboard problem? Is my pc fucking cursed? I dont know but at this point with a sort of old pc, I have no problem just dumping the whole thing and selling it for parts. Vic I really appreciate the help but ive almost given up. My net step is looking for a gaming pc build or all together package. I'd love some help with looking for a new pc if you or anyone else cant help with this. I'm just a little po'd about 3 weeks without a gaming pc lol.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

How is that 10gb configured? If you added one 2gb stick to 2x4gb stick take the 1x2gb stick out.Test again.
You also have lines on the desktop with using the igp and that new hdd with windows?

Hard to say what is really the problem,maybe it was the new psu and it had bad voltage/ripple control and it messed up the motherboard. May be best to stick to the old psu for now if it was good.

Since having a back up bios look at this and see if you can force it to make use of it,
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

Will with pleasure look at a new one with you,but lets try some stuff if i can come up with it.

Sep 1, 2018

Alright I tried that option you suggested and I cannot get to the backup bios. I am continuing to get to a black screen with the dvi symbol popping up after bios. I have a graphics card as well as integrated graphics. My integrated graphics is not working so maybe this is a motherboard problem? I am thinking I will bring this to best buy diagnosis and see what they can tell me. I figure $150 is a lot cheaper than scrapping the whole thing. A this point I am thinking I will either sell the remaining parts that "work" on amazon or ebay so I can just buy a brand new pc. Thoughts?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Tried another cable?

If taking the gpu out and after that do a clear cmos is it possible to get intot he bios? The clear cmos should set the igp to enabled again.

If you still don't get an image might it well be the motherboard or cpu,soemthing that indeed neds to be tested on different hardware so a trip to the shop might be necessary.

Solution
Sep 1, 2018

Alright UPDATE! I took the pc to Best Buy and thay basically told me it’s a bad graphics card and I just told them to put a brand new gtx 1070 into it. New question, They installed a pny gtx 1070 8gb priced at $568. I looked online and saw other 1070’s for like $399. The install was free because I have a yearly plan with Best Buy. Was I cheated?

Sep 1, 2018

That’s the thing is there were no installation charges as I already have a yearly plan with them. The igp did work but I asked them just to put a 1070 into it. I probably should have asked for the price but ya. I thought I would just return it and get something on amazon. Speaking of which, what is the best gpu I can get for my build?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Asking for the price would have been smarter yes,but well ....

What is best depends on what your budget really is ... ?

Sep 1, 2018

Alrighty so just now I left my pc to get a snack. I came back and it went into sleep mode. When inrestarted it I got the blue screen of death with machine check exception. Besides loading games and vr onto my pc, I haven’t added or done anything else. Wtf happened this time? And please how do I fix it? I might have to bring it into Best Buy again reee!