Question My PC turns off randomly without any sign or error

Jun 25, 2021
Hi, all

I've bought my PC one month ago with these specs.
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • GPU: RTX 2060
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 8GB DDR4 3200MHz (x2 = 16GB)
  • Motherboard: MSI Mpg B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • SSD: WD Blue SN550 500GB SSD NVMe M.2 2280
  • PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W 80+ Bronze
The problems are
  • When I've tried to set the RAM bus speed to 3200MHz in BIOS, it could not boot into the windows. Could not boot means the whole PC turns off, no signal, no red led. So I could only use 2666.67MHz of RAM, for now, to boot to the Windows
  • It will turn off randomly when using, sometimes playing a whole day without turning off, sometimes when using just YouTube on Chrome and downloading the game via Steam.
First, I think the problem is the temperature so I've bought the AIO (MSI Mag Coreliquid 240R) but still have the problem. The CPU temperature is about 31-34 when idle (I haven't tried when playing the game yet because the problem still happens when idle)

The things that I have not tried since I do not think it's related
- Reinstall the Windows

Could anyone help me? I do not enjoy playing on my PC 😭😭😭

Edit: Add more specs

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model motherboard?

Leave the RAM bus speed at 2666.67. I would not expect that going to 3200 MHz will gain that much more performance even if 3200 MHz is supported by the motherboard.

New PC:

Random turn offs could be a loose connection somewhere.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

If necessary clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: pinched or kinked wires, swollen components, discoloration, bare conductor showing.

Look in Reliability History for errors, warnings, or informational events that you can match to the times when the PC turns off.

Jun 25, 2021
Make and model motherboard?

Leave the RAM bus speed at 2666.67. I would not expect that going to 3200 MHz will gain that much more performance even if 3200 MHz is supported by the motherboard.

New PC:

Random turn offs could be a loose connection somewhere.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

If necessary clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: pinched or kinked wires, swollen components, discoloration, bare conductor showing.

Look in Reliability History for errors, warnings, or informational events that you can match to the times when the PC turns off.

My motherboard is MSI Mpg B550 Gaming Edge Wifi. I think it's supported the 3200MHz RAM.

Here is more information if needed, I will edit this and MoBo to the post:
- SSD is WD Blue SN550 500GB SSD NVMe M.2 2280

The reliability only said the windows not properly shut down 🤔

Updated: I re-installed the Windows since the Windows was installed from the store that I bought. If the problems still happen so there is no choice to change the store to check my PC :(

Jun 25, 2021
Updated: Still have the problems after trying to re-installed Windows 2 times.

The reliable system just only said that Windows was not properly shut down and nothing more.

The first time, I think the problem is the Nvidia GeForce Experience that may have a bug so I re-installed Windows again and remove that then I found the problem is not the Nvidia driver and have no idea why my PC still turning off.

• Power down, unplug, open the case. If necessary clean out dust and debris: There is no dust and debris inside the case
  • Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place: Check on this already, everything is firmly in place.
  • Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: pinched or kinked wires, swollen components, discoloration, bare conductor showing: There are no sign of damage, pinched or kinked wires
  • Look in Reliability History for errors, warnings, or informational events that you can match to the times when the PC turns off: This is the reliable screenshot at 26/06/2021

Update the problems: It seems like the PC turns off randomly problem is gone but has a new problem. The monitor goes black randomly but the PC still running without any sign, could not wake up, and hard shut down. I already turned off the PC and screen sleep. I disabled the fast boot. The problem still occurred. Not sure it's related with the Nvidia GeForce Experience driver or not

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS