Question My pc turns off randomly

Jul 18, 2019
I have a Asus ROG G20AJ and i have a 80w ac adapter and i know its not the right one but when i am playing a game that has a high load on the pc the block on the power cord gets so hot that you cant even touch it but when i look at MSI Afterburmer during a game it shows high temps of the gpu so could the low watt power supply be making the pc shut off? Or is the gpu overheating? I have been trying to figure it out for months now and i dont want to buy anything until i really know what it needs.

Read what you just typed.....

I have a Asus ROG G20AJ and i have a 80w ac adapter and i know its not the right one but when i am playing a game that has a high load on the pc the block on the power cord gets so hot that you cant even touch it....

80 WATTS????

YOU ARE USING AN ADAPTER THAT IS LESS THAN HALF THE CAPABILITY OF THE LOWEST WATTAGE PSU YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO USE WITH THAT SYSTEM!!!!!

WHY are you even ASKING?!?!!?!?!!

An 80W PSU can't be asked to put out more than 80W and not shut down!!!!!

Jul 18, 2019
Read what you just typed.....

80 WATTS????

YOU ARE USING AN ADAPTER THAT IS LESS THAN HALF THE CAPABILITY OF THE LOWEST WATTAGE PSU YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO USE WITH THAT SYSTEM!!!!!

WHY are you even ASKING?!?!!?!?!!

An 80W PSU can't be asked to put out more than 80W and not shut down!!!!!
So the answer is buy a new ac adapter?

I bought it with the 80w one used and i thought it was the right one and when the pc would turn off it said the gpu was overheating so i didnt think that was the problem.

Here's how you are slowly KILLING your GPU by naively using the wrong PSU:

As the PSU is overloaded, the output voltage drops before the over power protection kicks in (assuming it's even a half way decent quality brick and it even HAS protection... which I'm starting to doubt). This "too low voltage" has to be regulated back to a working voltage somewhere, so that duty now lies on the VRMs for your CPU and your GPU, which are not designed to regulate such out of spec voltage. Eventually EVERYTHING overheats and either the PSU or motherboard shut down from over temperature protection.

You're lucky you didn't kill your whole PC.

Jul 18, 2019
Here's how you are slowly KILLING your GPU by naively using the wrong PSU:

As the PSU is overloaded, the output voltage drops before the over power protection kicks in (assuming it's even a half way decent quality brick and it even HAS protection... which I'm starting to doubt). This "too low voltage" has to be regulated back to a working voltage somewhere, so that duty now lies on the VRMs for your CPU and your GPU, which are not designed to regulate such out of spec voltage. Eventually EVERYTHING overheats and either the PSU or motherboard shut down from over temperature protection.

You're lucky you didn't kill your whole PC.
well luckily i only payed 25 bucks for it lol