Question My PC turns off sometime during heavy CPU load. EZ debug light indicates CPU problem, but there is more . . . .

Jul 29, 2022
Hello everyone, I have a custom build PC Windows 10 since 2018 and last year I install hackintosh and dual boot with macOS. I use MacOs for working in Xcode, Intellij Idea and playing game on Windows.
When I first install my hackintosh there is no serious issue until recently my pc suddenly reset itself when building in Xcode, indexing file in Intellij although It never happens when doing those kind of tasks before.

Here are the symptoms:
  • The PC still runs, but screen gets no signal
  • Mouse, keyboard become useless
  • All fans till run, RAM and Mainboard LED still on
  • EZ debug CPU light on.
  • VGA led logo blinks every second.
I notice sometime, the VGA white LED near power plug blinks too. But not at the same time with this.
When it happens I feel like the CPU just disconnected from the rest of the PC and becomes unresponsive.

When it usually happens:
  • Mostly during heavy CPU load tasks like building in Xcode, indexing files in Intellij, and when CPU stress test too
  • Sometimes but rarely happens after startup, when I login to desktop.
Sometime (I don't know in which condition) my PC run just fine, no issue at all even after 10 minutes CPU stress test or playing heavy game under highest graphic setting.

Which OS it happens on:
Both MacOs and Windows.

PC specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 6 cores with stock cooler
  • GPU: Aorus RX 580 8GB
  • RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB
  • Mainboard: MSI X470 gaming pro carbon
  • 2 x SSD: Samsung 970 evo 250GB for macOS & Samsung PM961 128GB for Windows
  • 2 x HDD: 2.5" 5400rpm
  • 1 x HDD 3.5" 5400rpm
  • PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W 80 Plus Bronze
  • Fans: 5
What I did so far:
  • I reseated all the components, CPU, Graphic Card, RAM. But it made no difference.
  • At first I thought my VGA could be failed, because I see VGA led blink. But the issue never happens during heavy GPU load. Like when I play heavy game like BatmanAK or The Witcher 3
  • So I thought it could be CPU overheat. I checked the cpu load right before it fail, the temperature goes around 80 celsius degree. I reapply the thermo paste, clean cpu fan, reseat the CPU socket..., It still fails, even though temperature under 80. And to my surprise, sometime under stress test, CPU temp goes up to 92C and it does not fail at all
  • I ran memtest and passed all the test.
  • I removed all HDD: Doesn't work
  • I bypassed opencore and boot straight to Windows partition to lure out possibly chance of wrong hackintosh config, but the issue is still there.
  • I updated to latest BIOS version: Issue still happens
  • I disabled fast boot, disabled automatic restart when system failed in windows.... Still doesn't work,
Conclusion:
There could be anything so I cannot guess what's wrong and what to replace.
What if PSU is failing and does not provide enough power for CPU when needed? Or what's wrong with MB that it failed to survive heavy load? Or its just Stock Cooler not enough anymore?

Can anyone help me address the issue and what to do next? Thank you.

My rig: View: https://imgur.com/Qy3MfJh

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W 80 Plus Bronze
In 4 years with those specs above, assuming that the PSU was brand new to begin with, then it's possible that the wear and tear of the unit has reduced it's effective power output to the entire system.

To add, have you tried working with a donor PSU that has at least 650W of power to the entire system's disposal?

I see VGA led blink
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Reactions: GiantN'Hard
Jul 29, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W 80 Plus Bronze
In 4 years with those specs above, assuming that the PSU was brand new to begin with, then it's possible that the wear and tear of the unit has reduced it's effective power output to the entire system.

To add, have you tried working with a donor PSU that has at least 650W of power to the entire system's disposal?

I see VGA led blink
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Thanks for answering my question. I just bought new PSU: Corsair Rm750x 80 plus gold then tried again with xcode build and cpu stress test. The cpu stresstest passed on both macos and windows without issue but it happened again while building xcode. I will have to try several times because its not always happens.

About BIOS version. Im using latest msi bios which is 7B78v2I1(Beta version). I tried to downgrade bios to lowest possible version but it happens the same.

Jul 29, 2022
It is appeared that my poor cable management on the back side of the case with back panel is pressing the mainboard causing loose connection in RAM and CPU i guess. That's the only thing i can think of right now because since i re-organize the cable to fit the case properly, the issue does not happen anymore