Question My pc turns off when under load!

Jul 12, 2019
Hi everyone,
I built my pc around a year ago and it was all fine until about a month ago when i was playing Rainbow Six Siege and my pc just turned off without warning.
I figured out that because it was a hot day it could be a cooling problem, so I bought 2 new fans (i already had 4) and a cpu cooler (CM 212x). I installed these but that didn't solve the problem.
I also tried updating the bios, changing the power setting in the control panel, underclocking the GPU, but nothing worked.
So far my pc has crashed during RSS, Rome 2 and Furmark (the last one when the GPU was at 69°C so not particularly hot).
Does someone have any idea why this could happen?

Specs:
GPU- Inno3D 1070ti
CPU- intel i5 8400
MOBO- Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU- EVGA 550 B3, 80+ BRONZE
RAM-Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb DDR4 3000Mhz
(All components are 1y old)

D

Deleted member 14196

most likely a power supply issue. use a device to measure power consumed at the wall, it may be your house wiring

test your pc on another circuit if you can.

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, even with good quality psu, they can still have problems. there is no magic panacea, just stick to a good one, and I would get a 650 or better to give yourself a little growing room

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thank you Satan!

I actually couldn't check the temperature beacause my pc turned off at the loading screen:sweatsmile:, but now i'm more convinced it's a power issue

Now I've contacted the EVGA tech support to see if they can replace my PSU

I'll try it and see what happens

No problem. You didn't mention that it shuts off during "loading" (during Windows booting up?) as that is more likely an indication of it being a PSU issue.

As Mandark said it is not that common with good-quality PSUs to die after 1 year yet it happens.

Not sure if EVGA RMA would mean replacing it with same model or not but if it entails a refund get a good-quality 550Wone. I agree a 650W would give you some overhead and in case of possible future graphics card upgrade you would be already covered and won't need to get a PSU then.