Question My PC turns on but the system/bios doesn´t even start?

McJames

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
So, in certain moments, like the title says, my PC turns on but the BIOS doesn´t even start, meaning that system won´t even load. I don´t know if it matters, but my PC frequently freezes completely and this leads me to restart the PC from the case button. Then my PC starts to sound really loud and lie I said, the PC runs but the BIOS won´t start. I really don´t know why this happens, also, my PC is 4 years old and it hasn´t been ugraded since, so the PC is a bit outdated and this could be one of the factors. If someone could tell me how to solve this I would appreciate it, thanks.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @McJames,

List out the specs for your system please. 4 years isn't that bad. My daughter games on my Secondary AMD system below (sig) which is 11yrs old and we play BF1 & BL3 together almost everyday so... no worries there as far as age. (That's not to say a parts isn't going bad as a new part can be DOA)

So your PC at times won't boot to your desktop. How often does this happen and can you "FORCE" it to happen? Does anything come on the screen when you 1st press the power button? When was the last time you reinstalled windows? Have you cleared your Cmos via the jumper or by removing the battery for 10mins? (Sets Bios settings to default)

Did it just stop running one day or did you install a new part or it was dropped/tipped over or a friend borrowed it & now it doesn't work...? Does it have a SSD or an older HDD?

If it's been sitting for 4 years, was it left in the garage or moved around? If moved around, possibly a cable came loose. Have you completely tore the PC down to base parts and then put it all back together part by part? Making sure everything is connected correctly? Have you swapped parts from 1 PC to another to test if they work? (PSU/RAM/GPU etc.)

A little more info please.

Last edited:

McJames

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi @McJames,

List out the specs for your system please. 4 years isn't that bad. My daughter games on my Secondary AMD system below (sig) which is 11yrs old and we play BF1 & BL3 together almost everyday so... no worries there as far as age. (That's not to say a parts isn't going bad as a new part can be DOA)

So your PC at times won't boot to your desktop. How often does this happen and can you "FORCE" it to happen? Does anything come on the screen when you 1st press the power button? When was the last time you reinstalled windows? Have you cleared your Cmos via the jumper or by removing the battery for 10mins? (Sets Bios settings to default)

Did it just stop running one day or did you install a new part or it was dropped/tipped over or a friend borrowed it & now it doesn't work...? Does it have a SSD or an older HDD?

If it's been sitting for 4 years, was it left in the garage or moved around? If moved around, possibly a cable came loose. Have you completely tore the PC down to base parts and then put it all back together part by part? Making sure everything is connected correctly? Have you swapped parts from 1 PC to another to test if they work? (PSU/RAM/GPU etc.)

A little more info please.
This happens most likely everyday. I can't force it to make it happen. And when this happens, nothing comes to the screen, but everything is on (PC, mouse, keyboard). The last time I re-installed Windows 10 was just this week exactly because of this problem, hoping it would fix it in case Windows 10 may had corrupted files or anything like that, but that wasn't the problem. Nope, I haven't cleared my Cmos. The PC just one day started to do that randomly, it wasn't because I installed a new part. My PC has an HDD.

The PC hasn't been saved, I've been using it constantly since ever then. I'm sure that everything is connected right and I haven't swapped parts.

My PC specs: GTX 960 4GB FTW, AMD FX-8320E, 8GB ram, motherboard GA-970A-ds3p.

Anyways, just when I posted this forum, I cleaned my PC and everything went back to normal. The PC ran normally, then Windows freezed so I restarted the PC and I've been using it and not a single crash/freeze since then. I am not sure if either cleaning the PC or just disconnecting everything for a time solved it, but I hope this doesn't happen anymore. I will give more info if I find more.